Surgery or no surgery - what to do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have grade 3 hemorrhoids.  At times (like now), they can get painful afer eliminating - hurting for an hour or so.  They pop out pretty badly, but I can always manage to push them back in.  I have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon in a couple of weeks and not sure what I want to ask them.  I've already tried banding a few years ago - that did nothing.  Can I keep going on like this or should I have the surgery, and if so, which surgery - complete removal?  PPH?  THD?  There's so many choices and I'm frozen not making them for fear I'll choose wrong!

How long should I expect to be out of commission (with each surgery) - I sit at my day job, but also do a lot of running (sports) and hiking.  Do people have issues after surgery with leakage (a big fear of mine) or the issue returning?

How bad are mine compared to others who have had surgical correction (I've attached a photo)????

Help and advice appreciated!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I am sorry for you situation I can relate. I am recovering at home after having surgery last week. I had a internal H removed. It has not been fun ,but i only have pain after a bowel movement now. Eat lots of fruits and drink water as well as a 1/3 cup of fiber buds that you can sprinkle on cearel yogurt or salad. After surgery urination while in the tube works best. I had a bowel movement on the third day. Have a bath ready so you can jump right in after your BM. Try to walk around as best you can it helps blood flow and the healing process. Take baths for pain

........... any opioids cause you to become constipated. Stand in the bathroom before your BM, just as you feel the urge to go, sit and let it happen.The less straining the better.

• Posted

Hello. I am sorry for you situation I can relate. I am recovering at home after having surgery last week. I had a internal H removed. It has not been fun ,but i only have pain after a bowel movement now. Eat lots of fruits and drink water as well as a 1/3 cup of fiber buds that you can sprinkle on cearel yogurt or salad. After surgery urination while in the tube works best. I had a bowel movement on the third day. Have a bath ready so you can jump right in after your BM. Try to walk around as best you can it helps blood flow and the healing process. Take baths for pain

........... any opioids cause you to become constipated. Stand in the bathroom before your BM, just as you feel the urge to go, sit and let it happen.The less straining the better. It is so worth it to have it removed. Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

• Posted

........... any opioids cause you to become constipated. Stand in the bathroom before your BM, just as you feel the urge to go, sit and let it happen.The less straining the better. It is so worth it to have it removed and i personally havent had any leakage since the surgery.....Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

• Posted

Have you tried Forces of Nature products??

I had the same issue and the docs gave me meds and creams but nothing worked! So 4 months later they decided to do surgery. Until I tried this stuff to see if I could pull off a miracle. I had to wait for 3 weeks anyways.

I bought forces of nature and it was so much relief.

Went back to my doc and she was in shock.

I can now do everything I use to even back at the gym.

• Posted

how long have they been that size? I can say that mine were slightly bigger than yours and of course painful as hell. I was freaked out since I had no idea what they were, but thanks to this forum, I did. but I couldn't afford meds and so I just drank lots of water and after about 5 days they shrank but I still had internal ones that protruded time and again. thankfully, I got someone to send me suppositories and laxatives which I use upto today. what I can advise you is not to go for surgery but try to contain them by drinking lots of water, using creams and suppositories and also taking laxatives. from what I've found out, more than 75% of surgeries are not 'that' successful.

• Posted

Ouch, that really is a pa
    • Posted

confused yeah - unfortunately it is....and hard to explain to people at work why you keep going to the MD because it's just not a topic you wanna talk about.

• Posted

Ouch, that really is a painful situation. How long have you had the problem? My hemorrhoids were at a similar severity level and I was contemplating surgery after my doctor and I had no luck with several prescription suppositories and creams. Have you tried a cold treatment?

Before surgery consultation, the pharmacist recommended Anucure, which is basically a fancy icepack shaped for your butt. After a few weeks of use, I saw tremendous improvement and have been able to avoid surgery so far

• Posted

It's been about 5 years like this.  I"ve gone through various suppositories as well as banding but that did nothing.  I've tried Anucure which also did nothing.  It's actually not painful so long as I can reduce them after going to the bathroom, but that's a messy process when you're not home and I'm also concerned that once they reach the point of not being manually reducible (grade 4), they'll cause a lot of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.