Surgery or Not ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I (now realise) tore my right (inside) knee cartilage playing tennis in January. My previous GP referred me to an orthopedic centre which I eventually got an appointment in July. I was referred for an MRI scan but must have got "lost" in the system and so now I'm paying for a scan on the 17th.

I can walk albeit very gingerly and get about with full knee movement but it's painful at night and I can no longer play any sport which I enjoyed.

Having googled as much as possible there looks a strong body of opinion that at 61 I won't get great benefit from surgery and that it may in fact lead to earlier possibility of knee replacement !

Also who is the best knee surgeon in the south west if I do go down that route ?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It all depends on the ammount of arthritis.

If it's just the cartilage it should be ok.

You may get told 61 is too young for a TKR.

I had the op 12 months ago and for 6 weeks it was great.

I'd walked out of the hospital after the op and started walking the day after, mountain biking after two weeks and then had a tentative jog after a month.

I returned to my job after a month which involves being on my feet all day and that's when it started going pear shaped.

I had a scan yesterday but if another meniscus op is offered I might say no

• Posted

My experience, very rare, was having the meniscus repaired actually ended up advancing my arthritis. I am 7 1/2 weeks post TKR and will be 64 next week. My opinion is to always do the least invasive, but I think that is a discussion best had with a trusted surgeon.

Good luck!

• Posted

hi scoobyfan sorry to hear at 61 the knees do start to give us trouble, i myself was younger i hope you get good news with the mri ,but i know you are probably thinking the worst . i agree that scopes do hurry the knee replacement im afraid .the day i got my bi lateral tkr my life changed for ever ,maybe if my ops went the way i hoped i might not say this but i feel i have to say not all replacements are for the best ,try other things first if you can ,i know you love sport and i did also , im 58yrs and ive had a bi lateral at 54 and a revision last year because my op on one leg went badly wrong .ive improved since but not enough to continue sport .i did go back to sport but the twist in the knee with the golf club is troubling me as ive also got steel rods after the revision . glad you asking for best surgeon in your area !!! very wise of you also get more than one opinion if you can good luck please let us know how you get on
  • Posted

I too have torn my meniscus playing tennis. The MRI will tell if the tear is one that can be fixed. The out part of meniscus has some blood supply and can heal. If all the way through surgery doesn't do much. I found just resting for a month or two made it okay to play again without pain. Good luck. 
  • Posted

If you are fit, there is no reason why, after a cartilage removal, you cannot returned to full playing  health.  If they have lost your MRI, you are entitled to another one, free. Stick to your guns
  • Posted

As far as best surgeon, speak to your GP, they would have referred patients to surgeons/consultants.  They would have had feedback on whether they are any good.
  • Posted

Hi Scoobyfan,

WHY CAN YOU NO LONGER PLAY A SPORT YOU ENJOY?

thanks,

Warren 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.