Surgery or radioactive treatment

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 22yrs old I have graves since I was 19 yrs old I have a 3 yr old son and a 5 day old daughter my thyroid is so bad that my doctor said surgery or radioactive treatment I just don't know what to do the radioactive will make me stay away form my kids for at least 2 to 3 weeks but surgery only a few days what should I do???

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi X 

lim due for Surgery next week for my Graves' disease. Well done you for coping for so long with this awful illness ..due respect, because I managed 18 months from late diagnosis, and I feel awful, bloody awful all of the time now.

wo don't feel bad or that you're giving in to it! 

Pit all depends on how healthy you are? I personally didn't want RAI and have to stay away from my kids. So I opted for surgery, and I don't regret that decision . Yes I'm scared, but I feel I've made the right decision for me.

make sure you have adequate post support whichever you choose.

just so you know, often I've read that RAI doesn't work so they have to do it again, and/or even end up doing the surgery anyway! So my view was just to bite the bullet and get it over with .

all the best, don't feel,alone.

i will update my post surgery news xx

• Posted

Thanks for your input it helps me try to choose better I'll be praying for u and the surgery

• Posted

Hi I thought I would share my journey so far.. I'm 27yrs old with an almost 7yr old son and I'm a carer for my disabled mother. I had hyperthyroidism due to multinodular goitre, I was diagnosed around this time last year but feel I had been suffering for some years before.. I didn't feel RAI was a suitable option for me with having to be away for so long from the people who depend on me and also was told RAI doesn't always work. I had surgery 2 weeks ago, I was so nervous but once I was in the hospital being prepped I was so calm and just couldn't wait to have it over and done with, I'm not going to lie there was more pain than I thought there would be after reading other people's experiences but the worst part for me was the sore throat from the breathing tube but it eased off within a couple of days. The day after surgery I was sent home with levothyroxine and alfacalcidol for low calcium, I was told my parathyroids were still intact but were a little bruised and that's what was causing my low calcium. I'm still not feeling 100% but I'm slowly getting there, I did take an extra week off work and because I work in a school I've now got the summer off so have got plenty of time to fully recover.

Only you can make the decision that is right for you and whatever you choose I wish you well. Good luck.

Carleigh x

• Posted

Yes I was able to talk, in fact I talked the face off of the nurse in the recovery room as soon as I woke up ha! My voice does get tired and is a little weak if I try to raise it but talking at a normal level it sounds the same as it was before the surgery and it is slowly getting stronger again. They give me liquid morphine in the hospital for the pain and I could of had paracetamol and ibuprofen but I didn't feel like I could swallow them while my throat was sore.. they also give me paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine to go home with. I didn't use the codeine and stopped taking the others after 2-3 days. Hope this helps x

• Posted

Dear Kathy, sometimes we have to choose between two evils. I don't know which one you should choose, but I do believe that the reason for your choice should not be what's good for your kids, but what is best for you. I suggest you do the research about the pros and cons of each alternative, and if you think the radioactive treatment is better for you, do it. I don't know what support net you have, but maybe this is the time to find out who can step in and for how long. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi kathy13864, the main advantage of the treatment with radioactive iodine is the fact that it is non-invasive. You will have no scar, less discomfort and there is no need for anaesthesia. There is also less risk of damage to the parathyroid glands. Also, some patients have problems with their vocal cords for some time after the surgery.  

Typically, you will have a short stay in the hospital. The radiation level quickly decreases as your body eliminates the iodine. 

You will have to avoid close contact (like hugging) but won't need to isolate yourself completely for 2-3 weeks. Traces of radioactive iodine are excreted via urine and sweat. Therefore it is recommended to use a separate bathroom. And don't worry about residual iodine lurking around because the radioactive iodine itself decays into the harmless noble gas Xenon. 

The wife of a colleague had treatment with radioactive iodine. She had to stay in the hospital for a few days. They have two daughters. She was fine afterwards.  

Btw, you did not mention the cause of your hyperthyroidism. That should also play a role in deciding what is best.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.