SURGERY OUTSIDE UK

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

I have decided to finally undergo the bunionectomy and I'm considering to do this abroad. After researching, I feel like India could be a goos place to do it and I would be prepared to stay there for the recovery time. I also found that East Europe offers high quality ( as it seems) surgey at an affordable price. Would anyone here be able to advise me on the process of getting the surgey outside UK?

Thank you

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What? OMG!!

If you're in the UK I def wouldn't be traipsing half way across the globe to have your surgery.

What on earth is te attraction of going to India for the surgery? Or, are you just being sarcastic or attempting some weird kind of humour?

I live in West Yorkshire and had mine done on the NHS last November at Bradford Royal Infirmary. Excellent consultant surgeon  -  Mr C Mann.

A brilliant team work at BRI. So, any of them are highly recommended.

Do bear in mind that when you've had the op you'll hardly be trotting and skipping around for a very long time and so the logistics of getting from 'A' to 'B' need to be considered as you'll be on crutches and almost certainly be given a special heel wedge shoe to wear for several weeks.So, why make life more complicated for you than it will be following the operation.

YOU ASO NEED  CONSIDER THAT YOU WILL BE REQUIRED  TO RETURN TO THE HOSPITAL TO SEE THE CONSULTANT AND TO HAVE YOUR BANDAGES CHANGED AND THE WOUND CHECKED FOR FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENTS 2, 6 AND MAYBE 8 WEEKS FOLLOWING THE SURGERY.

So India is hardly a bus ride away is it?

You need to be near home in my view.

THINK !!!!!!!!!!!

But then, I'm not noted for being anything other than very practical and extremely honest, direct and blunt with my opinions.

But, it's all very well intended and not to cause offence.

Good Luck!

Gillian

• Posted

I'm from the uk but live in Australia. Bunion surgery is not subsidised by our healthcare as it's considered elective (I'd like to give the Health Minister 4 bunions and see if that changes things?!) so at age 31 last year I went private in Australia. I didn't shop around for the cheapest deal I found someone really good who I trusted and waited til I could afford it.

Really you get what you pay for.

My guy was amazing and the follow up care was unbeatable.

Please really really think long and hard on this because feet are pretty much the most complicated mechanical part of your body and you can not afford to get this wrong.

• Posted

Hi 

I had mine done in the UK. I am curious how much it cost in Australia privately? My cousin there is looking to get it done in NSW. Bunions run in the family. Sorry if I am being nosy! 

• Posted

All up it was not quite $10k including consultations pre and post op, anethestist and X-rays.

Dr Damien Lafferty at Hurstville near Sydney at a private surgery centre. Honestly so good I would have paid double. 

My feet 14 months on are amazing! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.