Surgery pcnl

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wanted to update.   I had my surgery last Tuesday.   Turns out it may have been a small stone but was mostly 4 cm of mucous and bacteria.   In OR 3 hrs.  Had mild sepsis which responded to fluids.  The surgery itself was not bad.  I used pain meds the first 8 hrs then Tylenol.  Tubes were more annoying than painful.   Mine was an unusual presentation.  Surgeon had done a 1000 and has only seen 5 times.  I can home Friday and am doing well.  Thanks to all who responded to me prior.  It helped.  

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear it went so well.  And you are in minimal pain. I am Scheduled for mine on August 2nd. He is predicting it’s an 18mm stone. (I hope He is wrong).   A few questions...do you have a stent in your urethra?  And if so, how painful is that?  And do you have a drainage tube in your back?   I am Hoping my dr. Won’t leave the drainage tube in my back more than 24 hrs.    I am So nervous about this surgery.  I had 3 kids naturally and a c section and was never nervous.  But, a kidney stone I am Losing sleep over.  I don’t get it.  
    • Posted

Hi Kate, I did have a nephrostomy tube for few days however I think it was in so long because of infection.  I had an internal stint not one that was through urethra with outside string.   Both the tube and stint were more uncomfortable than painful.  I still have a little urgency and burning but that has been less everyday.   I want to reassure you that if you had c-sections this is much less painful. You will do well.   Hope that helps.  Please let me know if I can answer any more questions.    My stone was 30mm.  
    • Posted

Wow 30mm!   I am so happy to hear you are doing so well after the surgery.   One last question.. are you in the US?   
  • Posted

Good news.

I was an unusual case as well and the surgeon said to me that the surgery was challenging. I certainly gave him something to think about.

PCNL large multiple stones and I was born with horseshoe kidneys (joined together) which obviously made access to the stones a lot more difficult. But having said that he did remove them all.

Take care and  keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

I go Tomorrow at 9am for my surgery.  I woukd Like to say I am Calm/cool and collected.  But, that is not the case.  I am Pretty nervous about the surgery, my blood pressure, the pain and leaving my children and not returning.  I know People have had worse things happen to them and have survived.  So I am Trying to think about that.   I am Just so ready to get this done and over with.  It has been since May when I found Out I needed surgery, and had been in the back of my mind ever since.  
    • Posted

Hi Kate,  You will be fine. The surgery is not so bad.   Be sure to take pain meds first 8-12 hrs. I was ok with Tylenol after that.   Trust your surgeon.   I completely understand your anxiety.  Waiting is difficult.   I had to wait 2 months.    Try to focus on the positive.   Please let me know how you do.     Nina
    • Posted

Hope everything has gone OK.

Take care and please keep in touch.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Just an update.   I had My surgery yesterday morning/afternoon.  They first took me down to the IT radiologist where the radiologist gave me some sedative (which knocked me out, because I dont Remember this at all) and he placed the “guide” tube into my kidney through my back, then I went To pre op.,.which I also Don’t remember so I cant Tell you much about that.  The next thing I know they are wheeling me back to recovery and showing me my 20mm (2cm) stone they broke up and removed.   Once in recovery they gave me something stronger than morphine which really helped with the pain.  I had Discomfort throughout the night and I could Not sleep because pain killers keep me awake.  There was a drain tube out of my back that was kept in for 24hrs and once they gave me another CT scan and saw no reminance of stones they pulled it out, that was a little painful but it was very quick.  I have A stent in my ureter to my kidney and there is some discomfort with that, it’s managebale, but no pain while urinating.  I am urinating blood but it is getting better.  I would Describe my pain as a 3 on the pain board.  It’s more  discomfort than anything else.  I feel Bruised and like I just Had a hard core ab work out.  Haha.  But, in all honesty I worked Myself up over this surgery for weeks and it really was not bad at all.  I dont Want to ever have it done again, but if I did I know It’s not terrible and I will Survive. 
    • Posted

So glad it is over and went well.  Hope you continue to do well.     Nina 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.