Surgery scheduled having second thoughts

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I posted earlier and received great replies but now that surgery is scheduled for next month i would like to elaborate on my situation.

My achalasia is caused by a leiomyoma which is benign.

My symptoms are not as bad as many I have read on here but has gotten worse but infrequent - Food sticking causing pain maybe 3-4 times a weekand only twice having to throw up.

I am scheduled for another endoscopy with biopsy since last one was almost 2 years ago. (Was told to have surgery then but put it off).

If this still shows benign do you think I can hold off from having the procedure?

I really dont want to do it!

Thank you!!

0 likes, 7 replies


7 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Lana

    I had robotic heller yesterday and had a significant improvement straight away .

    I was debating if I should go for surgery or put up with the symptoms .

    Although Iam a bit sore at the moment I am definitely glad I had the operation . My surgeon was great .

    Hope this helps


    • Posted


      Most intrigued by you recent post I never encoutered a 'robotic' Heller'sMyotomy - presumably a fairly novelle technique / approach?

      My surgical intervention was a conventional Heller's Myotomy (1994), and like your experience, I noted an immediate improvement.  So, no doubt about the benefits of surgery for me - "Goodbye milkshakes and protein build-up drinks; hello real and varied food!"

    • Posted


      Think the robot cuts recovery time down as it less evasive .

      Feel like I've been run over today , I guess that's to be expected 48 hours later , still amazed when I eat

      Even my voice has improved

      Just looking forward to healing now


      Just looking forward to healing

  • Posted

    Difficult to comment specifically in relation to leimyoma - as I've not had that experiece, but I would always opt for op; as I've simply never encoutered anyone who regretted taking this option.



  • Posted

    You can hold off as long as you like because you have to consent to this surgery, like any other hospital procedure, BUT the longer you leave it, the greater the risk of developing a baggy oesophagus that will not be as responsive to future treatment.   I think this applies regardless of the precise cause.

    My personal view is that the longer it goes on, the more difficult it will be to achieve an optimum result from surgery.

    • Posted

      Thank you for your response and everyone else.

      It really helps me. I agree I should do it now but like everyone else I'm sure, I am so not looking forward to it. I will be in hospital a few days so it won't be an outpatient thing so seems more serious to me and my tendency is to run away from it.

      But you are right it may get worse. I am 67 now so waiting is probably not a good idea.

      Thanks again!!

  • Posted

    Hallo Lana,

    i have the Heller Myotomy about 4 weeks ago, one thing to realise is that you will never be the same but before the op i was in hospital constantly as i was dehydrated and could not eve get water into my system but after the op i am at this stage still on soft food but slowly bt surely getting beter i think that getting the op was the best thing that i could have done.



Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up