Surgery, temperature, active Crohn’s....

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi all I wonder if anyone can help?

im due to have surgery on Tuesday morning for Crohn’s (illiostomoy and stoma)- I’ve been really run down and unwell in myself, my crohns is quite bad (I’ve been reducing prednisolone for surgery. Currently on 15mg as agreed with surgeon but it’s not holding it) and I’ve got a bit of an ear infection but my temperature keeps skipping up to around 38.5

has anyone any idea if surgery will go ahead with a temperature hanging around? I’m worried because my gp said they don’t like Crohn’s too active for surgery and you need to be in fairly good shape.... I’ve been pretty much in bed for 2 weeks!

any advice appreciated, I’ve been ill so long and dread being sent home...but am I got enough for surgery?

thank you x

any advice appreciated

​thank you x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had a resection 5 years ago due to severe inflammation, I’d been hospitalised with an abscess just before and a decision to remove the diseased section was made as meds were failing to keep it under control. I guess what I am saying is that with Crohn’s being unpredictable you may never be fully stablilised where an op is concerned. You are suffering worse than I was so maybe you need to contact your gastroenterologist and tell him how things are going and that you are concerned your op won’t go ahead. My young son many years ago was constantly sick with his ears and tonsils and on the day of his op he woke up with another infection, the hospital said he may never be well enough any time his op was booked and the sooner they dealt with it the better and it went ahead. Hopefully yours will, good luck!
  • Posted

I was admitted to hospital with a severe Crohn's flare and actually passed out on the toilet in my side ward and fell head first through the door! Luckily a nurse was passing at the time and called for help. They took me down to the theatre so they could see what was going on but my potassium levels were too low for them to operate so I had to go back to the ward for several hours and was put on a drip. Once that stabilised they took me down again and I told the surgeon to do whatever he had to do because I was sick of being so ill all the time.

They discovered my bowel had perforated and I had a massive abcess on the outside of my bowel, so they operated straightaway and I now have a colostomy bag. I am still troublee with Crohn's but haven't been that bad since. So it has helped.

What I'm trying to say is, even though I was very ill, they still operated. I think if they feel they should operate and your vitamin, mineral, etc levels are stable then they will probably go ahead and it certainly sounds like you need to get this done.

I wish you all the best and I hope this helps a bit.

• Posted

Hello Sadly, 

I think is best to speak with ur gastro secretary and if you have met with the colostomy nurse: run your symptoms by them and they should speak with the surgeon who will make a decision based on ur chrons symptoms and current fever. 

It is true that the surgeons prefer to do the operation when your Crohn's is stable and this is to allow for good recovery post surgery in an optimum state & to reduce/prevent complications.  however,  if your Crohn's is bad they are most likely going ahead. 

Good luck & try not to stress as this might be making you unwell. 

Blessings 

• Posted

Hi, I think you have ear infection they won't do the surgery, till your temperature.  I had emerancey 10 years ago permanent Ilestomy stoma.

• Posted

Sorry I’m a few days late but wanted to thank you for your helpful replies. When I woke the next morning my ear infection had upped the ante so my temperature was soaring and I felt worse than ever. I called my surgeon as advised and was sent off to my GP for antibiotics and a new surgery date to be scheduled.

i still feel dreadful today - my sinuses have joined the party, I’m so glad I didn’t go ahead despite my Crohn’s being as bad as ever.

thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond. Hugely appreciated!

​i hope you’re all as well as can be x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.