Surgery That Destroys Prostate Urethra and Subsequent Prostate Removal

Posted , 17 users are following.

I have a general question about BPH surgeries such as TURP, Holium Laser, Greenlight, etc. that destroy the urethra passing through the prostate.  If I understand correctly, these surgeries rely on the remaining prostate to act as a substitute urethra for the section of the urethra that was removed.  The remaining prostate contains the urine as it flows out of the bladder and keeps it from spilling into the body.

However, what happens if, after one of these surgeries, the prostate needs to be removed say because of prostate cancer?  Do the surgeons have to "sew in" a new replacement urethra for the section that was removed by the earlier BPH surgery? 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my Prostate removed in May and a TURP 18 months before, resulting in extra stitching being done and have been advised I will be incontinent for a year, which is longer than after a normal Prostate removal.

David

• Posted

Thanks for the reply tractorman.  Was the extra stitching due to the surgeons stitching in a urethral replacement for the section that was removed during the TURP.  If so, was it tissue from your body or an artificial urethra?
    • Posted

rdemyan,  I will be honest and say I never enquired but was told that if anyone has had a TURP previously then additional stitching is required. I will try to find out when I see Prof on Thursday.

David

• Posted

Not sure, good question. This was a big reason I did the focal laser ablation 2 years ago. It's been ready good for a 66 year old. No loss of sexual function so that was very important. Trups are scary.

• Posted

I just had the greenlight laser on July 19 and I am recovering nicely.  I do recommend the greenlight laser and dr Richard Gonzalez in Houston.  It's a more precise tissue removal with less risk of damaging other critical vessels and functions.  Regarding the destroyed urethra, yes is will take it 3 months to grown back to be the finished "canal" for your pee to flow through.  So I would expect that if cancer is detected in the prostate that, after this 3 month period, the decision would be to go in and remove the remaining prostate.  I would think the recovery from the cancerous prostate being removed would be similar to the the TURP or Green light surgery.  Your urethra "tunnel" or "channel" would have to be protected for a week or more with a catheter that has a bladder flushing tube also that is used to fill the bladder and flush the bladder through the new voiding passage. It is uncomfortable (its a pain in the dick for sure and very awkward to have a bag strapped to your leg) but, hey, you get through it and move down the road.  It's now a memory.  You can get past it too.  Just go get the cancerous prostate removed and get rid of that killer risk.  Every thing else will be fine.  Just be a patient patient and you will get through it.  Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.