Surgery to refuse scar tissue? Experience?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am sceduled for a surgical intervention to widen my vagina. My main problem is scar tissue between the urethra and the clitoris which makes intercourse very difficult. Below the vaginal opening in the direction of anus, the skin is quite ok and I have enough space. The gynecologist who will perform the op seems experienced but I am neverthelss concernced. She doesn´t want to make a traditional cut as in Fenton´s procedure, since it is too close to the clitoris. Instead, she will just "tear the scarred tissue" apart, if I understand it correctly by just pulling it from both sides, so that it breaks. This is done under anesthesia but I will be able to go back home the same day. Afterwards, I have to use clobetasol daily to prevent recurrent scarring. To me, this sounds quite brutal but obviously, she believes it is less invasive than cutting with a knife. I have googled around but I can´t find any information. Does anyone here have experience from someting similar? I feel like I have nothing to loose and I really want some kind of normal sex life back, but I am nevertheless afraid. I appreciate all advice. Thank you very much in advance!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

UlliS

Has she described it as scarring or is it fusing?  I am concerned that I may be in the same position because tissue has fused so close to the clitoris and narrowed the opening to my vagina as well.  

• Posted

I am not quite sure if she defined it as scarring or fusing. Is it not more or less the same basis? I guess it is some kind of a combination. The mucosa is very tight and non-stretchable. If I try to stretch, it tears immediately. Sorry, to hear that you are in the same position. I hate this disease and I have struggled with it for almost 40 years now - it started in my early teens.
  • Posted

I guess id consider any pain this could cause that Might not go away.
  • Posted

This is a difficult situation.

Scar tissue is inevitable if surgery is done wether there is tearing or cutting.  This has its own problems and may not solve the issue.  Would you consider a gentler approach?  If so buy yourself a dilation kit. (They can be found on line in the privacy of your home.) This kit contains  4 different  size dildo types in varying sizes from small to larger which are inserted into the vagina for short periods. Over time this will gently stretch the vaginal opening to allow comfortable penetration. I have personally used them with excellent results. This is a much more comfortable approach. If it does not work you can always have surgery or look for other options later. And it is relatively inexpensive.  Good luck. I'm a big proponent of enjoyable sex so hope you can get back in the game. Good luck. 

• Posted

I have burning from vaginal atrophy..along with other discomfort,do you think i could stand useing something like that? Going to gyno in a few hours..wonder if i should ask.
    • Posted

That is what they are sesigned for. I'm 73y/o and they keep me going.; )

You can ask but doctors are not always motivated to learn about things like this. (Read as no money for them.)

• Posted

Hi I don't know about this procedure but I tore with the delivery of my babies and the gynie was under the impression that a tear heals better then a cut so may be this gynie is thinking along those lines.
    • Posted

I agree. But most of us struggle with tissue that tears easily and that seems to make the disease progress. It gradually becomes more "scar like".  I'm not a MD so others may have better info. I rad a review of medical literature and the one thing they mentioned was not to cut. If you, Ullis, do have this procedures I hope you will let us know the results.
  • Posted

I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago and it is hard to put into words how painful that is. The procedure for this is hospital admittance whereby they forcibly move the arm backwards and forwards to break down any stubborn tissue.  It is brutal, but it works.  So, I think your surgeon sounds like she has a plan, it makes sense to me, yes, of course, it sounds horrific, but you will feel nothing, you will be asleep.  I would try to relax about this, worrying changes nada, and I have a feeling this is going to work well for you.
  • Posted

Hi Ullis,

I have had a dilation procedure done about a year ago now.  Good result. ( I was totally fused up.)  After that I had to start dilating myself.  Gradually the vagina stretched far enough so that gentle intercourse is possible again.  It changed our life.  We didn't realize how much we had missed the intimite contact with each other.  

Being gentle remains important, regular dilation is still needed.  And lots of lubricant is very necessary.  

It might be that your doctor has something similar in mind.  As long as there is no knife involved.  

Wishing you well. 

• Posted

Thank you very much for all helpful comments. I am almost certain that I will do it. For a while I have tried with dilators but this region has almost no elasticity so I think it will be very difficult to reach results in this gentle way. The doctor also informed me that it is no cure and that I have to work to keep it open after the procedure. I will keep you posted, it is still at least a couple of months away. In one way, I feel like I have nothing to loose but I am still a bit scared of complications like problems with healing or a bad flare up. But I will give it a try. Thanks again for your support! I feel much better now.
    • Posted

I hope all goes well and you feel much better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.