Surgery to treat diverticulosis?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I recently had a colonoscopy to check for bowel cancer. The good news is that the consultant did not find any signs of malignancy. The not such good news is that he did find, in his words "severe diverticulosis" - so severe in fact that he was not able complete the colonoscopy. So, he referred me to have a colon CT scan. I got the results from this last week and they confirm that I do have a lot of diverticula in my colon. The consultant is now recommending that I have surgery to remove my the affected parts of my intestines.

Looking back I have suffered numerous bouts of GI discomfort - severe indigestion, diarrhoea, abdominal pain etc - over many years. However, I've never had to take time off work, or take antibiotics to treat these attacks, or go to hospital. I simply self-diagnosed IBS and carried on.

So, while I am inclined to have the surgery, I also have some nagging doubts as to whether such a drastic solution is necessary for my condition. Can anybody help me with their own experiences?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ok John. That explains why they want to operate. I thought you must have experienced some symptoms to be investigated at all to start with. Strictures can come from surgery too. I would really weigh up options if I were yi. If you never had any major issues you may be fine without any surgical intervention for a long long time. However if strictures are from your hernia repair you might only seen top of iceberg for now. I been partially obstructed and it's not nice. However I managed it with laxative, a lot of it. Still take it daily.

Vivian, Carol pretty much said it all. Symptoms shared is pain, change in bowel habits, bleeding, weight loss, nausea. You might drop weight from eating less. In cancer you might loose weight despite eating normal. The cancer speeds up metabolism. Require higher calorie intake to keep weight on. Constipation due to obstructions. Can be cancerous or by strictures. A coloscopy will see what is causing it. Also what's causing any bleeds or prolonged constipation.

• Posted

John, what country are you in? I can't say for sure but there seem to be different cut off points before surgery is considered depending on where you are and who is paying for it. I'm in uk and I been begging for an operation to remove the pain. They didn't give it to me. I still have daily problems a year on.
    • Posted

I also live in the UK, appendectomy. However,  I'm lucky enough to have private health insurance through the my job. So I am getting my treatment privately. However, my consultant also works in the local NHS hospitals. so I'm sure I'm getting the same advice as if I was being treated in one of them, although I might be getting it a little more quickly.

• Posted

Vivian

The sigmoidoscopy is a scope of the first bit of intestine from the bottom. Coloscopy is higher up. They would have seen both sites last time you had a coloscopy. I think you should get a second opinion. If this is affecting you do much it calls for more investigation. Your life, quality is also a factor to consider when deciding to operate or not. I think whatever infection you have lurking in your guts lays dormant between flares. I don't think it ever clears up totally on you. I see you wonder about cdiff. You probably would not have good periods at all if you had it but it should get tested as you been on multiple lots of antibiotics. Speak to your pharmacy, they might send for tests without having a order from Dr. At least it put your mind at rest. I feel for you. I seen you been through a lot. I wish that would take us more seriously and invest more money into research to help us

• Posted

Money talks John. Whatever you do, hold on to that insurance. I'm moving to America and I see they operate a lot sooner over there. I have obstructions, daily pain. Nhs won't touch it. Gave me pain relief after I been hospitalised 3 times for pain management. And yes, had sigmoidoscopy and too tight to get any further so they stopped and told me to eat more fibres. Do think long and hard though about surgery. It's not without complications. Who knows where strictures come from? Could they been from your hernia repair? They normally take 6-12 months to appear, give symptoms. Just because the doctor does both nhs and private, he/she xan still give different advice depending on where they work that day. Nhs hasn't got funds for a lot these days. They do keep this in mind when consulting patients. Look at mögel damage with his testicular cancer?! He did not get scan in nhs. Private doctors have it as he was paying. Voila testicular cancer found. Nhs is still very good av treating the imminent, life threatening situation. But unfortunately there is a lack of funds
  • Posted

Hahahaha, meant Nigel Ferage. The ukip leader. Remember the stories in the papers about his balls, if his ball.....
  • Posted

Everything's relative. If you don't have the surgery to remove the affected area and your bowel perforates due to the confirmed severe diverticulitis, ( with research you can confirm this) and then you'll be forced into emergency surgery--now that's drastic.
  • Posted

I've made up my mind and I'm going to have the surgery. Sent an e-mail to the consultant's secretary asking when we can schedule the surgery. Still not absolutely sure about about it, but overall I think the risks of developing more severe symptoms or complications are greater than the risks from the surgery .
    • Posted

Good morning!

It isn't easy is it?  Elective surgery will be easier for both the surgeon and yourself, would love to know how you get on.  Don't expect to be back on your feet straight away, patience and doing as your told (which I'm sure you do any way)

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.