surgery tomorrow or do i cancel

Posted , 7 users are following.

Need help ASAP

I am due a total thyroidectomy tomorrow and am terrified, i am scared to leave my children, terrified

Something during the op will go wrong, such as a thyroid storm or bleed, i have never had a GA before. Terrified about my life afterwards being hypo etc.

My background is i was diagnoised graves last May, i have a large goite which does not bother me at all, my other symptoms were tremors, anxiety, palpatations and weight loss. It took a long time to

respond to the meds and i am now on 60mgs carb and it was only in my last blood tests that my levels were in normal range. Physically i feel very well and dont have any symptoms.

My endo thinks surgery will be inevitable but i just dont know what to do. Can anyone help?

Oh i ruled out RAI.

Thanks

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ladykinkavel, did you read the article by Dr. Salvatore Benvenga on the use of L-carnitine and Graves? If not, you might want to Google that, print it out and show it to your doctor. That was a legitimate research study that proved the benefits of using L-carnitine with Graves patients.

I can tell you I have had no ill effects from using this with my medication.

I have just emailed Dr. Kessan to ask him about whether his company would be interested in doing studies on this.

I hear a lot of anxiety about your decision and your absolute belief that what your doctor tells you is what is best for you. I would urge you to do some research and find out what others who have had surgery or RAI say about this. Doctors are often not open to new ideas and it takes a long time to change them. A lot of them do not listen to their patients and only "follow the herd" that is do what has always been done without looking at new information or new options. Pills, if they cause you ill effects can always be stopped. Surgery and RAI is not reversible if you feel ill effects from it.

After 40 years of working for doctors, I am glad that I do not have blind trust in any physician but always do research about any medical treatment that is suggested to me and make my own decisions about what is best for me. I have never regretted this and I have received really great care because of it.

I have to say to everyone on this Board that you are not going to get physician endorsement for using L-carnitine, that they never heard of this because there have only been 2 studies on it and that the majority of doctors have never heard of it and are only willing to do what they have always done for this disease for the past umpteen years. Change is difficult for the medical profession. They only change when the pharmaceutical company sponsors clinical trials and introduces new drugs with lots of papers published on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.