Surgical biopsy or Blood test?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had the Videssa blood test done to test for cancer? I have some "indeterminate" calcification clusters and no other symptoms. I have so little breast tissue I can't get a needle biopsy. Surgical biopsy is recommended but that's 1/4 my tissue from each breast (no exaggeration, really). I'm resistant to the surgery but fearing the worst... otherwise I'm healthy and don't have family history of b.c. but I know that doesn't mean much when it comes to cancer. Need help guessing if I'll feel OK with a "not likely" blood result. (If it is cancer than my path is pretty much set.) 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am so so sorry you are going Thur this but to make you feel better I had a needle biopsy done and it didn't show anything and the next day I had a surgical biopsy done and it was very little side effects you aren't sleep very long at all for it. You will do fine and that is what best. Unfortunately I did have Ductal Breast Cancer. And thank God I am cancer free and you can't even hardly tell where I was cut on my breast. I am sending prayers and good vibes to you. If I can be any other help please email me at

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Dear Mimi,

The Videssa Blood test has a sensitivity of 92.5 % and of specificity of 85%. What this means is the Videssa is not 100% accurate with false positives and negatives.

I had a wedge of calcium clusters for several years. Finally, a spiculated mass, breast cancer, showed on 3D digital mammography. The left breast in the area of the mass was always itchy.

I also had skin cancer, which was itchy for years!

I had a partial mastectomy, radiation, chemotherapy.

The Videssa was not available, nor would I rely on it solely for a decision. Only a biopsy is accurate.

I am a nurse practitioner, BTW.

I would think more about saving your life than your breast tissue. The Videssa will not give you a definitive answer.

It takes 7-10 years before a breast cancer is large enough to be imaged by mammogram and discovered.

Have you had an MRI of your breasts with contrast? It is more accurate in finding masses than a mammogram or ultrasound.

I would ask for an MRI with contrast, then surgical biopsy, if it were me.

I am skewed, of course, as I have breast cancer.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Mimi,

Your welcome.

Please tell me what happens with you. I find the breast cancer support group not as involved or responsive as the shingles support group. I know it is two vastly different diseases, but I know also how devastating the diagnosis, surgical options, breast cancer treatments can be. I also know how wonderful the support from other women are.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.