Surgical Consult Tomorrow - Need Pointers!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

It's been a few weeks since i've posted on here.  Since the last time I posted, I had yet another Diverticulitis attack.. but this one was mild. I refused to fill the meds... I have SO MUCH MEDICINE in my home....   To add to matters, I have also had these recurrent IBS flare ups lately.  Tomorrow I have a surgical consult and im feeling overwhelmed.  I don't know how to properly communicate to this guy how miserable I truly am.  I don't know if he is at all concerned about the quality of life that I am currently experiencing either.  Each day is filled with some sort of abdominal discomfort, whether acute or dull ache.  There are bouts of fevers, aches, nausea and general loss of hunger... and oh yeah, almost always flip flopping between consitpation and diarrhea...  I am able to function, only because I have gotten used to feeling like crap.  It's quite sad actually.  I am not sure about all this surgery stuff.  I have a pompous GI who throws cipro and flagyl at me like nobody's business... refusing to actually empathize with me.  Last time, I didn't even see her, I saw her NP who basically told me "look, you have diverticulitis.. it's a progressive disease and there's nothing we can do about it except antibiotics or surgery...".... i was floored... although i know she was telling the truth.  My diverticular disease has now progressed to the right side as well.  What do  you guys think... elect to have surgery as a hopeful preventative now while im 43, or just keep dealing with the pain and flare ups?   Im so lost as to what to do... and i meet with this surgeon tomorrow.....  any thoughts?  Oh yeah, my wonderful GI cancelled my colonoscopy this friday with no explanation... smh - time to find another doctor I think...

Thanks guys! 

~Bronzecaramel

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Following posts of nutritionist I would just say check when you ring that they have dealt with people with DD/IBS before.

• Posted

Thanks.  Yes, my list is DD, gluten intolerance, hiatus hernia, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol and high BP.  Oh - and I have been told to lose at least 5 stone for a hip replacement!!  It doesn't actually leave much I can eat, so my diet is soooooooooo boring!  One lead looks promising, as she included her CV of 8 years hospital experiences and dietary conditions dealt with.

• Posted

Hi

My list is long as well lol. We dealt with getting the foods I could eat right first and we are now tackling weight issue following the last year when I was struggling just eating white bread which my body didn't like especially as we have now found out I am wheat and gluten intolerant!! She wanted to get me sorted with decent nourishment before we looked at intake levels so that is our next step. The one you have found sounds good mine was also ex NHS dietician/nutritionist. Good luck got my fingers crossed for good outcome for you x

• Posted

I had to loose weight before I could have my hip done I was a size 20 now down to a 18 and still loosing its since Christmas due to not eating chocolate ice cream lots of fat and bread the main thing is I no longer drink coke so my body is no longer swollen
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I started at a size 16/18 and if I lose almost 6 stone I'll slip down drainpipes!!!  But if I can lose 4 stone I'll probably be a size 14 which is fine by me.

• Posted

I haven't been below a 20 for years I have 5 children I put weight on with each one then I gave up smoking 40 years ago and I put more weight on I have only started to loose weight since I got diagnosed. I will be happy if I can get to a 16

• Posted

my god we are twins!  Same exact list here... smh

and I LOVE to eat and am pretty strong-willed... so as you can imagine I spend a bunch of time on the toilet, and in the bed.... :-(

• Posted

Hi Twinnie!

You certainly seem to be going through a bad time if even water triggers something.  I would say it's more likely your IBS than DD.  Sorry I don't know enough about that to give any help. 

I wonder if we are genetically connected lol!!!!  I do have relatives in Canada and the USA.  Best wishes for answers and a recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.