Surgical drain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed 3 days ago and had a surgical drain put in due to excessive bleeding during surgery in order to prevent internal bleeding. Anyhoo i was wondering what if any side effects any of y’all experienced with the drain. I’m trying to figure out if certain symptoms are due to the surgery and medication I’m on or if it may be related to the drain. The symptoms that I believe are possibly due to the drain includes excessive fatigue (lightheaded,dizziness, cant stay awake for more than 30mins at a time), I feel like circulation to my legs

and feet is slow( they feel like they’re asleep a lot even when I’m trying to walk around),and *tmi*I’m having issues with my bowl movements. 

Any opionions or shared experiences are greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I never had a drain with my op,but have had two drains with another op all I can remember is the sheer awful pain when they pulled them out!
  • Posted

Hi Mary 

i haven’t ever had a drain but it seems your reason for having one is loss of blood and fatigue dizziness falling asleep are symptoms of blood loss ..your body will remake the blood you have lost drink plenty to replace blood volume and if you can get a good iron tonic to help your body ..floradix .. etc  I remember the same symptoms after I lost a lot of blood in child birth .. you quickly pick up but it does take a couple of weeks .. 

just relax and rest let your body heal , repair and rebuild 😘😘

• Posted

Mary, you've just had anesthesia and major surgery. Depending on your age and physical condition, it's going to take a while for the anesthesia to leave your system.  If you're on pain killers that would also account for your inability to stay awake.  Finally, lack of activity can lead to slow circulation.  Also, your bowels will react to all you've been through, and from the lack of a gallbladder.  Give yourself a few more days, and see how you feel.  

Also, the drain is probably not because of internal bleeding, but to allow any accumulated fluids to drain from the wound so it doesn't become infected.  Certainly, you will have some bloody fluid.  But your surgeon made sure that you weren't bleeding before he closed your incision. Good luck to you!  Make sure that you follow your post operative instructions!

• Posted

Hi Mary 

I had a surgical drain. It was uncomfortable but not painful and I had no pain when it was removed. Found I couldn’t wear anything with a waistband for a while afterwards as the drain area was sore. I would say your tiredness is due to residual anaesthetic and the effects of painkillers as I was the same. Just give yourself time: sleep when you need to- it’s the body’s way of mending itself. Keep moving your feet and lower legs to prevent thrombosis. Move about as much as you can. I’ve had three major surgeries now and this was the best advice I was given.

Hope you’re feeling better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.