Surgical intervention for TN

Posted , 10 users are following.

According to information from the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association (TNA), there are several procedures which are effective in treating TN. Why is no one on this forum mentioning that? I am 79 and don't want

to spend what remains of my life on drugs.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Celia,

People do mention surgical procedures, I do as I had Gamma Knife Surgery in July and have sent letters to the discussion form. It made the TN worse for about 6 weeks then I had NO pain at all for a few weeks and then it came back, however, it is far more manageable.  I have taken no drugs for 5 weeks.  Some days it is difficult to drink, talk, eat and clean teeth but not as much electric, I can cope with the pain and carry on with life.  I was offered both Gamma Knife or an injection through the cheek.  If the Gamma Knife did not work I could the have the injection.  Both procedures would only last about 3 years but the TN should be easier to manage after!!  I also have progressive MS which is why I have TN and that is why any procedures don't last that long.  I have tried so many different drugs not only do they all make me feel so ill but they also work against the MS.  I am 67 and have had TN for at least 10 years.  I live in the S West and had Gamma Knife in Bristol, it is not being done there any more, I was told London was the next nearest place.  Good Luck I will look forward to hearing how you get on.  I would recomend it.

Sally

• Posted

Hey Up Celia

I'm a member of the TNA too and yes they do suggest quite a long list of procedures that have been used for control of TN. The easiest one to take care of (even if it is to discount it) is to have a high quality MRI which will reveal (or not) whether you have an artery compressing the root of your Trigeminal nerve. If you do, then the future is clear and your neurosurgeon will be quite confident in the diagnosis and suggested treatment (MVD). If not, he/she will be clear about the next route to follow.

Has your neurosurgeon or the team suggested this, or carried this out for you? It's best to get the real clinically accurate diagnosis before wading into the unknown of surgical and other interventions. You might have been down this route already - in which case I apologise for clogging up your inbox!!

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Thank you, army. I had an MRI scan when I was first diagnosed and nothing abnormal was found. The diagnosis is 'classic' TN. Since then, no further investigation has been done and none suggested. All I'm being offered is increasing medication, but it doesn't help at all so my life is on hold unless I can persuade someone to operate. All messages are welcome - and my Inbox is hardly groaning under the weight of replies!

• Posted

The high resolution MRI scan is a Fiesta scan. Yes, if it shows a blood vessel on the nerve then they can perform a surgery called MVD. This is the mos invasive procedure, but it is a solution! Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.