Surgical menopause- How long do symptoms last?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had TAH +BSO 6 weeks ago and now having symptoms of menopause- emotional instability, hot flashes, migraine, sleep disturbance.. Not too bad so far, but I need to decide whether to have HRT. Anyone have any experience of surgical menopause without HRT? How long does it last? Does it get worse over time? Can't find any positive info from internet, books or GP. Does anyone know of any studies?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ohmygoodness, ladies, your stories are frightening!! In an odd way, they make me feel lucky, my docs have been sympathetic and proactive all the way, perhaps because I had very large palpable tumour, but no serious symptoms, other than a couple of episodes of severe pain- maybe if they can see and feel the problem, it's easier to take some action. I actually thought it seemed drastic to have surgery when it was suggested, but had post op histology back this week, it was a "borderline" 2 kg tumour with associated endometriosis and fibroids, so if I hadn't "had it all out", would now be facing further surgery. Have appointment with my GP tomorrow, I'm still keen to try HRT but may not be given it if there's a risk of endometrial cancer, willl be interesting to see if I encounter the disinterest you have suffered, personally I'm pretty pleased with the medical profession so far.. I wish you all well with your conditions and thank you for the information.
    • Posted

Sorry, wasn't trying to frighten you/anybody. You have been blessed with the care you received for sure.  I was diagnosed with all sorts by the gp, including an enlarged uterus due to adenomyosis, (doubled normal size), but she still wouldn't refer till the meltdown..an awful lot of women I know are suffering unnecessarily because they are just not being heard and being fobbed off with treatments that just delay the inevitable for some conditions..It's sad but true. Glad you got the help you need Jas. Best wishes K
    • Posted

Glad you got a good doctor and they found it in time.  I found my own cancer and it took them 9 months of going thru the testing to confirm what I already knew.  They did catch my cancer before it was into other tissue so that was a good thing. 
  • Posted

I had a total hystetectomy when I was 31 because of endometriosis. I am almost 54 & still suffer from hot flashes. I didn't have any emotional problems, only very severe hot flashes. I was started on estrogen replacement, first the pill form & then the transdermal patch. It did help but did not completely alleviate them. The worst part of it was severe arthritis set in & I had to have a partial knee replacement about 12 years later.Now I need to have both knees completely replaced. No doctor will tell you that hormones are so very important for many body functions. I went from being 31 years old to about 52 years old in a matter of minutes. It is the equivalent of going into shock. We are supposed to transition into this stage over a matter of years but surgery causes it to happen instantly. It can take many years for a body to adjust to the severity of the change. About 2 years ago I started I began taking bioidentical hormones which are considered safer & are absorbed by your body much better & I can tell a huge difference. I still have some hot flashes & I'm just plain hot natured anymore but it is much, much less often & rarely severe at all. The only downside to the bioidentical hormones are the cost in the USA. Maybe you ladies in the UK won't have that problem. I whole-heartedly recommend them if you can get them. Besides being absorbed by your body so much better, animals are not tortured to produce them because they are plant based derivitives. My sister just began menopause about 2 years ago naturally & she was having an awful time until she began taking bioidentical hormones & is now doing much better. I know some ladies can't avoid having their ovaries removed because of certain diagnoses but my advice to anyine is to keep your ovaries if at all possible. It should be a dire circumstance to have them removed. If the doctor can't give you some EXTREMELY solid reason for removing them - please don't! Do your own homework as well. Doctors really know VERY LITTLE about menopause & how to treat it. They are pretty quick to yank them out, at least in the USA tgey are.

• Posted

I am 54, had a hysterectomy when I was 31, still have hot flashes. Started taking bioidentical hormones about 2 years ago & feel so much better. Doctors don't know much about menopause. The studies have a shown very conflicting info. I suggest you do your own homework & find out as much as you can. What doctors don't tell anyone, probably because they still haven't figured it out themselves yet, is that your body immediately goes into shock from having these very important hormones hormones removed. What our bodies are supposed to adjust to over quite a few years, happens instantly, and if you are very young, you instantly become a 50 something year old. Definitely watch for arthritis & heart disease. I had a partial knee replacement 12 years later & now I need both replaced. Have a slight cholesterol increase but always had great health prior to my hystetectomy. I had been a gymnast & could still do almost all my moves at the time of my surgery & felt so old after my surgery because of all the joint pain. Ovaries should never be taken out unless it is REALLY necessary. Anybody considering a hysterectomy should be pro-active & do their own research into their condition before letting a doctor remove their ovaries. I'm in nursing school now & I am appalled that so many doctors care so little about how EXTREMELY IMPORTANT our hormones are. They are not just for producing eggs yet that is how most of them think about it. Please try the bioidentical hormones if you can get them. They are very expensive in the USA. I pay $110 a month which is almost 10% of my entire monthly income. My daughter wants to move to the UK when we both finish nursing school in 2 years & I can't wait to be able to get medications & go to the doctor without having to go into debt on my credit cards. I hope this information helps you.

Audrey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.