Surgical stockings

Posted , 10 users are following.

When did everyone stop wearing the surgical stockings? I'm 4 weeks post op now and can't bear them.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Louise I am just two weeks post op and I was given the choice at the hospital either to wear these horrid things or a self administrid injection in the tummy and you can guess which one I chose. I have two more days to go and these injections and that’s it.  You don’t feel a thing but the only problem is they give you a bruise 
    • Posted

I was given the injections for the first 2 days then blood thinning tablets for the next 10 or so but still was told 6 weeks. Every surgeon seems to be different
  • Posted

I have no knowledge of these stockings. My Left TKR was December 5, 2016 and my Right TKR was October 9, 2017. Are they to prevent blood clots and are they electric?
    • Posted

Yes, they are to prevent blood clots. They're not electric no, they're like flight socks but go from toe to the top of your thigh

• Posted

I never had any for TKR as my ankles were swollen before the op and they decided against it. I have had them for other surgeries though when I wore them until fully mobile. I would ask your medical team and also mention they are not comfortable as they need to fit well to be effective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.