Surgrey Tomorrow

Posted , 7 users are following.

I go in for decompression surgery in 7 hours any tips for hospital stay and recovery at home

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Pre-op: 

Arrive early and wait around for NS. 

Make sure you've paste. They are really useful to use. While waiting, nurse & anesthesia will come talk to you. You will get an IV in your arm. This is likely for saline. After they start talking you back to surgery, they give you some fentanyl or similar and you don't recall anything!

Post-op:

You wake up in a private room in ICU. You will have multiple IVs in arms to deliver painkiller, -and stronger drugs than that. 

You will be tired, probably not too much pain. U will be connected to a Foley catheter. You'll have that push button painkiller device which regulates painkiller in your IV. 

Make sure to buy some Blistex Whipped center

You won't be able to eat much because- of sore throat. You wake up in a private room in ICU. You will have multiple IVs in arms to deliver painkiller, -and stronger drugs than that. 

You will be tired, probably not too much pain. U will be connected to a Foley catheter. You'll have that push button painkiller device which regulates painkiller in your IV. 

Make sure to buy some Blistex Lip Therapy- I was in surgery 5 hours and my face was in a hole in the bed. I had an endotracheal tube down my throat. So by next morning, my lip was all swollen. 

You won't be able to eat much because thoat also hurts.  Give yourself plenty of time to rest. 

After you get home- 

• Posted

A few more things for after surgery: Jello, apple sauce, pudding- i had trouble swallowing. Aso you will need someone to stay with you the first day after hospital release. 
  • Posted

Hi! I'm 9 days post op.

Just listen to your doctor, listen to yourself, don't try to push yourself to get back to "normal" as soon a you can.

It's going to be fine. If you've made it so far through the headaches and everything, you'll make it through the surgery and recovery wink

Take care, stay strong.

• Posted

Thank you.. 7 days till surgery. 49 years old. I'm so worried about after surgery pain. But your right...We've made it this far and survived having Chiaris. I got this.. God bless all Chiarians.

• Posted

I hope your post op experience is going to be great. Mine was good. I was also really scared I'd be in pain but the doctors managed to control the pain simply perfect. To be honest-my neck muscles hurt the most, not the incision or the head. That's why IV medication rules the post op world. :D I had some complications on the 5th and 6th day post op-yes, the symptoms did come back and it was cruel-I guess that's how I would put it. But that was due to post op brain edema which reappeared after I was out of the hospital and off of IV steroids. I had to be readmitted for a couple of days, but my NS fixed me up in no time. 3 more days on those lovely IV steroids and pain killers-at the time I didn't mind-and I was good to go. You can read a bit about that in my discussion. This time already 9 days at home and so far feeling a bit better with every passing day. No symptoms at all.

Hold on just a bit longer, you know you can do it!

• Posted

Good luck Amanda

Get moving as quickly as you can, you will be fine. I had mine 4 months ago, all is well.

• Posted

Hey, how are you doing? If you feel up to it, let us know smile

• Posted

Re Read my previous post and I have no idea where all the autocorrect phrases came from. Pretty sure they weren't there when I wrote the post. In any case, try not to worry. They give you loads of painkillers after surgery. You may have to ask for icepack which is also very helpful!!   Take it slow in eating. You may have a sore throat from the endotracheal tube. Also make sure to have some lip balm for dry lips.  For home, have lots of easy to swallow foods- pudding, jello. First week: REST!!! Don't overdo going places even if you feel better. Enjoy having the nurses taking care of you while you are in the hospital!  Good Luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.