Surprised

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been on tramadol 50mil twice daily  and didn’t take it one day until four in the afternoon. Are usually took it in the morning early at 4 AM I noticed I was very excitable a little anxious and then I just became completely nauseous. When I looked at the with drawl symptoms it was me to  tee. I was so disappointed I thought for sure I wasn’t physically addicted to them I have been taking them for neck pain for over three months. It didn’t completely take the neck pain away but help me bear with it. Has anyone else taken such a small amount and had withdrawals??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi .

Tramadol contains codeine which is an opiate these are very addictive.

Despite not being an addict or conscious of craving the drug it is so powerful it takes under three DAYS to become tolerant and addicted.

​So you are more than likely going through withdrawal. However as unpleasant as it is and it is it is not dangerous. You can go CT. If it were a benzo then the tapering off would have to be very, very slow . NB See the Ashton Manual often quoted on this forum.

​As it is not dealing with the pain there does not seem to be much rationale in continuing to take it. Codeine causes lots of side effects including anxiety, severe depression, derealisation, severe migraines, swelling of the eyes etc, etc.

Hope that this helps.

• Posted

Yes I am quite surprised that I became addicted so quickly as I was only taking One to  two 50mil a day. What’s so sneaky about this drug is it doesn’t give the high, per say as Vicodin does. So I thought that it wasn’t addictive. When I stopped cold turkey within 24 hours I became extremely nauseous. Do you think I could go down to one 50mil tablet a day? I’m going to give it a shot!

I really appreciate your comment it just substantiated what I was so fearful of!

• Posted

Hi

I'm have a history of addiction. I'm now on a substitute prescription. One of the drugs I used to take was tramadol. I took one from my mum one day for pain and was pretty much hooked.

Tramadol is an opiate and one can become dependant on them (not the same as addiction) as the body gets used to the drug. It's Likely you're body has become physically dependant on the tramadol. Like I say this is different from addiction (where you become psychologically and physically dependant and become hooked on the drugs effects as opposed to taking them for legit pain reasons like you are)

I'm probably not making sense bit the point is That yes, you are likely physically dependant. Just means your body is used to them so when you stop it becomes uncomfortable.

I'd say if they are not helping you're pain, go to Dr and asked to be changed to something else.

I found tramadol extremely hard to stop and was taking doses that would probably kill the average person. So I hate tramadol as a drug and think it should be taken off shelves bit that is just my opinion of course.

The reason I became addicted is they are known to increase dopamine the feel good chemical in the brain, acting like an anti depressant almost.

Out of all the opiates in was her addicted I found tramadol the hardest to stop. You are taking a small dose however and will be absolutely fine stopping though please make you're Dr aware of this. Do not stop without speaking to your Dr first!!

Good luck and feel free to write back if any further questions.

• Posted

Hi again The short answer to your question has anyone else become addicted, hooked, dependant on low doses of tramadol/opiates is YES.

​Unknowingly as no cravings. Just taken 3 to 4  of 30  tablets of that poison aka codeine of codeine each WEEK was more than enough to cause serious problems !!!!!!!

​I was prescribed 8 tablets a day!!

Just imagine if I had been dumb enough to take the prescribed dose!!!!!!

ON A POSITIVE NOTE I have PM you a link to tips for weaning off tramadol. You can go CT .

Personally I would not let the dr prescribe a drug to aid with withdrawal because then you have to withdraw from that drug too! So what is the point I ask myself?

​When the neurologist I saw re the severe headaches told me that codeine is an opiate and therefore is/was responsible for the severe headaches, dry eye syndrome, throbbing pain in my right eye, anorexia, severe anxiety and depression, nausea, I stopped taking this poison straightaway.

I had withdrawal signs and symptoms but knew that at the end of it I would be better. Each day was just a challenge to get through but I was determined to do it.

​There is no easy answer. At the end of the day stop the opiate. CT is best in my opinion .

The mind and body becomes dependant on this toxic substance. What helped me was having baths to help with the spasms, taking magnesium and vitamin D plus B12. Avoiding ready prepared meals as full of horrid additives. Taking a short walk , exercise to stimulate the endorphins this toxic substance had suppressed. Looking upon each day as a day nearer to the end of withdrawal signs and symptoms.

​SUPPORT NETWORK as NHS provided nO 

• Posted

Report this

? 0

Reply to lisa95164

[harriet67221] ?5 harriet67221 Prodigious about a minute ago

Hi again The short answer to your question has anyone else become addicted, hooked, dependant on low doses of tramadol/opiates is YES.

?Unknowingly as no cravings. Just taken 3 to 4  of 30  tablets of that poison aka codeine of codeine each WEEK was more than enough to cause serious problems !!!!!!!

?I was prescribed 8 tablets a day!!

Just imagine if I had been dumb enough to take the prescribed dose!!!!!!

ON A POSITIVE NOTE I have PM you a link to tips for weaning off tramadol. You can go CT .

Personally I would not let the dr prescribe a drug to aid with withdrawal because then you have to withdraw from that drug too! So what is the point I ask myself?

?When the neurologist I saw re the severe headaches told me that codeine is an opiate and therefore is/was responsible for the severe headaches, dry eye syndrome, throbbing pain in my right eye, anorexia, severe anxiety and depression, nausea, I stopped taking this poison straightaway.

I had withdrawal signs and symptoms but knew that at the end of it I would be better. Each day was just a challenge to get through but I was determined to do it.

?There is no easy answer. At the end of the day stop the opiate. CT is best in my opinion .

The mind and body becomes dependant on this toxic substance. What helped me was having baths to help with the spasms, taking magnesium and vitamin D plus B12. Avoiding ready prepared meals as full of horrid additives. Taking a short walk , exercise to stimulate the endorphins this toxic substance had suppressed. Looking upon each day as a day nearer to the end of withdrawal signs and symptoms.

?SUPPORT NETWORK .

?The dr who prescribed it was unhelpful and the pharmacist advised me not to go onto a substitute to 'help' with withdrawal as then I would have to withdraw from that as well! Catch 22.

You can do it. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi prodigious Forgot to mention that opiates lower your pain threshold and are only for acute pain. Found to be unhelpful with chronic pain so that may be a reason the tramadol was not helping. 

Have you tried physio?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.