Surprising facts I read on CKD

Posted , 3 users are following.

In my area, which is not a large town in upstate New York, I was surprised to learn we have multiple Kidney Centers which provide dialysis, advice, minor treatments.  They are all associated with one company.  some of the centers are only 5 miles apart.  For a small area I was surprised at this and contacted one of them on any information they have about CKD.  The directed me to their website where I read some statistics that surprised me.

​--15% of population suffers from some stage of CKD

--66% of those, the CKD was caused by high blood pressure or diabetes.

--in the United States there are 468,000 people on some form of dialysis

​--in the United States 100,000 people are on the list waiting for a transplant

​--in the United States 17,000 people per year receive a transplant

​While these numbers change nothing about our own personal conditions it showed me that we are not so alone.  When dealing with out disease I think we sometimes feel that it has somehow singled us out and made us one of just a relative few who suffer the same.  We are not so abnormal.  Also to find so many centers dedicated to just kidney care and research is always a hopeful thing.  Perhaps not for someone of my age (68) but hopefully not so far off.  It also highlights one sad thing in my opinion.  Only 17,000 transplants per year.  Out of a population of over 350 million people, 17,000 is such a low number. 468,000 have the disease but only 17,000 get a transplant.  More awareness of vital organ donation is needed.  Of course CKD affects mostly people over 60, so perhaps a donation is not feasible and younger people are given a higher priority on the transplant waiting list.  But still.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Interesting facts there, Rick - I wonder how different areas compare.  It would also be interesting to know the average age of the 15%.  I so agree about the lack of organ donors - here in the UK there is a move afoot to encourage people to opt out on a register if they DON’T wish to donate their organs, leaving those who don’t register their wish to opt being considered to have given their consent.  Don’t know if this will ever materialise though.
  • Posted

Rick,

I've seen this data before. I agree with you; CKD is much more common than most realize. That's one reason I found myself pondering how many people attending a professional conference I just spoke at about two weeks ago were dealing with CKD. I also wondered who were receiving dialysis treatments? Who were transplant recipients?

The point is, this IS much more common than we sometimes think. And, people do carry on with CKD. Life goes on, jobs continue, people get married, etc.

CKD is my new normal.  It requires me to do things differently. It will also change the trajectory of my remaining life. But, the basics of my life haven't changed.

I'm incredibly fortunate. I'm a university professor in special education. I direct an online graduate special education program. I'm also an administrator. So I'm able to schedule my teaching and other work responsibilities around my many doctors' appointments and labs. I expect to continue working full time when I am put on dialysis.

I love my job. I'm thrilled to have a job that is so flexible and can so easily accommodate treatments like dialysis. Many are not as fortunate as I am with their work.

Consequently, as I've said before, this really is a mental battle as much as a physical battle. With appropriate medical care, I can win the physical battle. It's up to me to handle the emotional stress and anxiety associated with all of this, i.e., the mental battle. 

Again, how lucky am I to have been raised by a father who had CKD. He showed me, on a daily basis, how to live well with CKD--even through in-home hemodialysis. He had a great attitude; a major sense of humor; and a love for living. He really enjoyed every aspect of life! 

I was born in Cooperstown , NY. I lived in upper state NY through grade school. My mother was from Long Lake, NY. My father was from Vernon, NY. So I know upper state NY fairly well; although; I live in Kansas now. Anyway, I was surprised to find you describing that many dialysis centers. That does really put this into perspective doesn't it?

Marj

• Posted

I am in the Binghamton area.  I too was very surprised how many centers here.  The population of our entire county is about 196,000 and declining rapidly as major companies (such as IBM) are closing factories and laboratories here.  And our centers are not the only ones in the county.
    • Posted

So about how many centers total would you guess to be in your county?

Marj

• Posted

I just did a search on the internet and there are 7 in total in this county.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.