Surveillance Colonoscopy.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Here I go again. My four year colnosonoscopy is due, the last one was three years ago. All clear as was a CT scan two and a half years ago and all CEA results normal. Surgery four years ago was an extended right hemicolectomy. But as some of us do, I'm at the apprehensive stage again. Anyone out there at a similar stage with positive news, statistics or results? Of course, I may not be the same as others, but just nervously waiting. I've been told that usually things are ok. The stage was T3N0M0. Sorry to be a wimp. Yes I have seen a councellor! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,  I feel just the same, as Martin has a CEA  test due on November 1st and I am already getting very stressed.His scan back in May was all clear and as you know his stage was exactly the same as yours.He is feeling fit and well but I am the wimp that does all the worrying.I probably should get some counselling myself.

I wish we were at 4 years as you are 3 years ahead of us.Wish you the very best of luck with your colonoscopy.

• Posted

I hope all goes well for you.  My stage was also T3N0M0 diagnosed just over 3 years ago.  I chose to take part in a medical trial which meant I had the first 3 chemo cycles before the operation and 9 after.  Up to now I have been having checks on a 6 month basis, just blood tests for the last year and a half.  The most recent was last month and the results meant that I am now considered sufficiently recovered to be on a 1 year interval for checks - hopefully this is good news!  I am now more confident that the light at the end of the tunnel may not be the headlight of a train rushing towards me.
    • Posted

Hi Anthony, The interesting thing is that you were offered chemo and we were told that why put my husband through chemo when he had only a 3% to 5% chance of a recurrence.Martin then decided against having chemo.I am convinced that age had something to do with it as he was 72 at the time.
    • Posted

Greetings Jenny.  It was not so much a case of being offered chemo as it appearing to be the standard treatment given to everyone, certainly there was no mention of being able to select not to have it or suggestion that it might not be necessary.  I doubt that it was a matter of age since I was 78 at the time the treatment started.  I hope Martin's test on 1 November goes well.

• Posted

Thanks Anthony and good luck with all your future tests.It must be different with every hospital as we were told that Martin could have chemo if he wanted but with his staging it might not be necessary as there was a low risk of recurrence.

How did you cope with the chemo?

• Posted

There was no real problem with the chemo apart from the need for 5 hospital visits during each of the two week cycles.  Four of them were of short duration with the fifth, when the treatment was started, taking most of the day.  Fortunately, the hospital that I attended had a scheme whereby a 20 visit car park pass was available for £10 which certainly minimised the costs, I had three of these in total.

The procedure that I went through was known as Folfox6 which required the main dose to be given over a 44 hour period.  For this I was kitted out with plumbing to allow the dose to be given by a pump which I carried around for two days.  Saying pump sounds very technical but it was simply a container about the size of a jam jar with a balloon inside containing the drug.  A harness was provided to carry it.

I was surprised that I suffered few side effects.  The information book provided listed a long catalogue of potential side effects, only a couple of which I suffered: numbness and cold sensitivity of the fingers and toes, and some white patches inside my mouth.  Neither caused any real problems, apart from the latter catching my dentist by surprise.  Some people suffer sickness, for which tablets are provided, although I found that this problem did not affect me.

The only concerning item was the possibility of developing neutropenic sepsis if I developed an infection of any sort.  An alert card listing the symptoms and detailing the treatment required was provided together with a 24 hour contact number and a digital thermometer.

I think the most useful item to get me through the process was a Kindle loaded with a lot of books - there was an awful lot of waiting around for things to happen!

A fairly lengthy response, but you did ask!

• Posted

Thanks Anthony and Jenny. I'm having trouble posting so ?will just wish you all the best for the future months. The best advice I had from my counsellor was to think in the 'now.' Keep in touch if you have time. John. 

• Posted

Posted twice. Finding site difficult. Hope admin sorts me out, I asked them to remove one. Possibly this could go too? Sorry about that... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.