susan 26904

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just a message to others I,m in my10th week of shingles had got my life back for the past 3 days went out and about.I must have done too much so be warned dont do to much when you think you are feeling better. I,m back to square one today have learn,t my lesson the hard way. 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You are NOT kidding! This is how I have been living my life for the last 2 1/2 years. Always balancing trying to dodge the dreadful symptoms. Take it real slow, and best of luck in completely knocking your virus out!
  • Posted

Susan,

It is a difficult lesson, especially if you led an active lifestyle, before the virus struck. You will find the balance and harmony in your life, as long as others in your life are supportive.

Best regards and warm wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Merry!

I wanted to pick your brain... I am contemplating getting the flu shot on sept 20.

I do not usually get one, but last year was aweful, as I caught every bug that came through my house. What do you think about it? I am concerned about being injected with a live vaccine when I have the shingles virus lurking in my body.

Thanks

Lady in the shoe😜

• Posted

Thankyou Merry I did lead an active life when i stand back and take a look at myself.I have to stop and think now how much I can do in a day.Was active at begining of week but hit the wall yesterday most of the day in bed not a lot of energy today will just have to pace myself.It is the little jobs that a could just go and do.I,m coming up 73 just have to realize I,m not 21 anymore it is really very hard
    • Posted

Susan,

You remind me of me! I consider myself an independent, resourceful lady who hates to ask for help! After Herpes Zoster-Shingles, two strokes, back and neck surgeries- which were highly successful, and breast cancer- excellent prognosis, I have learned to balance my life at age 64 almost 65... Still, it is a humbling experience. I become ataxic when Zoster-Shingles is about to strike, so it is comical as I stumble around the house. My 20 year cat has learned to stay away from my feet when I am in this condition.

I try to pace myself, slow and steady she goes...

Best regards...

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Susan,

It's just really, really hard.

I've mostly recovered, (90 days now since first symtom) but the fatigue still knocks me back on my heels most days. I am having to retrain myself to take care to NOT overdo on my good days. Those good days happen maybe once or twice a week, if I'm lucky. I wonder if I'll every feel "normal" again?

I love this board, it lets me know I am not alone in this journey.

Kerri

• Posted

You are NOT alone!! I was just reviewing my calendar (I keep a log of how I am feeling on it) and found that last week I had 4 back to back days of extra busy days, and wouldn't you know it.... I hit a wall of fatigue, which lead to my neck pain and mild tingling. I rested a lot these past few days and I can feel I am coming out of it without fully relapsing. This is a relief, but on the other hand, super frustrating that this continues to happen when life gets a little crazy!!! I'm 2 1/2 years from my first episode. Hang in there. You are not alone

• Posted

Thankyou michelle and kerri what you say is just me as you say this chat line is wonderful.Where do you both live I,m in New Zealand
    • Posted

Hi Kerry thankyou for your compliment about New Zealand have you been here?I live in marlborough at the top of the South Island.I have not travelled overseas.

• Posted

I am super frustrated right now...4 weeks ago I had my initial breakout (my 4th time having shingles at the age of 45). Background...I have panhypopituitarism caused by a sledding accident that makes my immune system weak. Anyway...4 weeks ago I broke out on my bracket & head following my occipital nerves on both sides of my head & 1 spot on my neck on the spine. 2 weeks later I broke out on my back, my head & neck broke out again, my face broke out on my chin & my mouth broke out. I was admitted to the hospital at that point with disseminated shingles and given IV antiviral, antibiotic & steroids and 5 days later got to go home. Fast forward 1 1/2 weeks to today.... I am breaking out again! My chin and back broke out in all new blisters last night and I feel so run down!!! I feel like if someone poked me with a pin I would just ooze puss and my breath smells like I have 'sore throat breath' (as my mom use to say)...but I don't actually have a sore throat!

I am super frustrated!! I have been using the antibiotic ointment on the shingles everyday since I got home from the hospital but I don't think it is making a difference! Has anyone had blisters keep appearing over & over like this just a week or two apart???

• Posted

Dear Hollymama,

There are times when I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every other week in my right ear. To say I was in agony is an understatement. I also had it in my right eye twice, with the ear but also have had scleritis many times. It is called Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. This has gone on for twenty years. I do get lesions in my right throat and tongue, ear canal, etc...I am immunocompromised with SLE, ITP, Psoriasis, and now breast cancer-excellent prognosis.

I do pay strict attention to the Arginine Lysine diet, but do not take supplements as the supplements can be toxic to kidneys, liver, and heart. I have found that eating peanuts or true nuts (you can never eat just one) definitely predisposes me to a more severe case of Herpes Zoster-Shingles. I am sorry you are going through this. It is extremely difficult to be you as no one understands the amount of pain, exhaustion, and other symptoms you have. I feel for you and hope your family and physician understands.

I finally retired, and have less stress, and seem to have slightly less episodes...every 3-4 weeks, instead of every 2- 2-1/2 weeks. A definite improvement....I find Famvir seems to work better for me. Valtrex did nothing for me.

Warm wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.