Suspected brain damage after taking bisoprolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took bisoprolol for one week back in January. Horrendous problems followed - headaches, dizziness, chronic fatigue, rapid heartbeat.

Have had a severely numb brain for six weeks(and before this too). When I take a headache tablet it is worse.

Went to the doctor and I explained there are problems with my autonomic nervous system(also feel fatigued after eating).

I said the numbness in my brain could be the result of damaged nerves. She agreed and asked me what I wanted. I had to ask to be sent to a neurologist.

My surgery created the problem in the first place by keeping me on the drug and ignoring the side effects.

They then didn't believe me and have been no help whatsoever. I've had to find everything out and then go to them to tell them what is wrong and what to do. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This is truly an awful tale and the first I have heard about this sort of damage suspected of being done by Bisoprolol.  This will all depend on the progress you make and whether you are prepared to sue someone for this and of course, no one can advise you on whether this course of action would have any success.  The first thing is to get a proper neurologist report and you should continue to press for this- then, depending on this assessment, you could decide on whether to take things further.
  • Posted

Hi Steve, are you the fella who shares my Cardiologist at St Georges?

I can report that my breathlessness and low blood oxygen levels finally appear to have returned to normal after 13 months from my last taking Bisoprolol.

I too fear though that my Autonomic Nervous System failing to detect my blood oxygen levels when asleep have resulted in permanent brain damage. You will see from the oximeter chart below I spent a long period for a long time at 85% which some say can cause organ damage.

I describe the numb feeling to be like the injection you get at the dentist, but in the back of my neck rather than my gums, and sometimes it spreads as far forward as my eyes.

Dr Sohal wrote to my GP telling them to arrange an appointment with an Autonomic Neurologist, I had been telling my GP for the best part of a year that my ANS had been compromised, and of course they took no notice, but when they got the referral from Dr Sohal, they referred me to Queens where I was diagnosed with Autonomic Instability, just as I had been telling them all this time.

Trouble is, its now 5 months I have been waiting for an appointment for multiple ANS tests, and I feel myself getting worst and worst, to the extent I wonder how long I will be able to cope living on my own and will need care in the community?

• Posted

Further to my last, another thing Bisoprolol did to my Autonomic Nervous System is to leave my stomach in fight/flight mode, I have had to give up eating breakfast and a midday meal as it completely exhausts me and makes me feel really ill, as if I have forced myself to eat when I didnt want to.

Its quite easy though as I have completely lost my sense of hunger, I went 42 hours without so much as a peanut a few months back, as an experiment, still didn't feel hungry.

At least I am getting to fit back in some of my tight clothes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.