Suspected DVT

Posted , 2 users are following.

My GP thinks I have a DVT. I have all the symptoms. He did a D-Dimer blood test came back negative but I have read that if there isn’t a piece of the clot broken off at the point of the blood being taken it might not show positive.

This has been going on for a while first thought was cellulitis but after loads of antibiotics including injections it’s no better and if anything worse.

He has booked me in at the DVT clinic but said it could be next week. I haven’t been given any treatment. Surely a scan should be done faster than next week?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

The d dimer is the gold standard for diagnosing a dvt investigation However, a d dimer of positive does not necessarily mean it’s a dvt. The workup then goes on to check for other conditions that would return a positive result. 

Once other conditions have been excluded, only then do they do an ultra sound. 

So, in short, if the d dimer is negative then it means there is no dvt, and even if the d dimer is positive, other conditions can cause a positive result. 

A piece of a clot does not need to break off for a d dimer to return a positive. 

Pete

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.