Suspected early appendicitis - referred to ER.

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the past three days I've experienced a mild to moderate pain in my right lower quadrant that feels like a cross between a pulled muscle and gas pain. It is localized to a point between my belly button and right hip-bone. I did not suspect appendicitis because all the stories I've heard are of excruciating pain, which I do not have. Yesterday the pain became more pronounced and more localized to a single point in my right lower abdomen that radiated to my lower back. I called my local nurse-connection advice line and they advised me to be seen in urgent care as a precaution. I had also developed nausea, constipation and excessive bloating, however the pain was still more akin to a pulled muscle and was not overwhelming. The Urgent Care doctor referred me over to the ER to get a CT scan and Ultrasound because he said he suspected that I was developing appendicitis but couldn't be sure. I went to the ER last night and after waiting over two hours, decided to go home, as it was already very late, and I wasn't due to even be triaged for another two hours! I slept almost normally last night, and just felt a slight pressure/sharp twinge of pain intermittently through the night. I had a normal bowel movement this morning, but the pain is still localized to my RLQ and varies from a dull ache to a sharp, gas-like twinge. I still have mild nausea and feel like I constantly need to use the restroom. Because the pain is not overwhelming, I am hesitant to go back to the ER, but all the other symptoms of appendicitis are there. Does anyone have any advice? 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi. I walked round for 3 days with a burst appendix. I felt bloated, painful twinges, constipated and just didn’t feel right. Went to the docs said was possibly grumbling. Within few hours I was being sick and couldn’t keep anything down.  At the hospital had ultra sound which didn’t show anything wasn’t until they opened me up they realised how bad it was. 40 min op took 4 hours and 3 months in hospital. Keep going back if u are in pain you might have high pain threshold like me. It hurt but didn’t make a fuss I thought it was trapped wind. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.