Suspected Gallstones My Story (and a few questions!)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ok now where to start.... In 2005 when my son was 6 weeks old i woke in the night feeling as if i was having a heart attack, terrible pain which took my breath away. A friend took me to A&E where i was told i had indigestion, given a tablet to take (which didn't work) and sent home feeling rather foolish sad

Fast forward to may 2007 and my indigestion having been persistent and lasting up to 24hrs, milder than the original attack but still extremely uncomfortable, i made an appointment with the doctors sent me away (without meds) red faced telling me i have irritable bowel syndrome so what do i expect of course i will have digestive issues and pain. Needless to say i wasn't in any hurry to return so carried on just about coping, over the next 18 months this continued very sporadically, could be night or day, after eating or on an empty stomach.

Fast forward to Dec 2008 and things are no better, I knew i needed to get it sorted but thought i'd get xmas and the new year out of the way first and then book an appointment. Went out new years eve but wasn't feeling great and was home and tucked up in bed by 11pm having drunk 1 glass of wine. New years day felt very nauseous so didn't eat until late afternoon, by 6pm my stomach started to bloat and i though here we go again :? Unfortunately by 10pm I was in absolute agony, couldn't sit, stand, lie down or cope! I spoke through tears to the out of hours doctor who informed me it was probably a bad case of indigestion and would pass soon :? I hung up the phone and called my mum who took me the local a&e where i saw a doctor who was great, he examined my abdomen and when he touched the right upper side i nearly jumped off the bed! he diagnosed an inflamed gall bladder and i went home after an antisickness and painkilling injection armed with antibiotics and extra painkillers and instructions to see my doctor in the morning or call an ambulance immediately if it got any worse. Thankfully whichever painkiller i was given bought it down to a manageable level so i didn't have to dial 999 :shock:

I am booked in for ultrasound on 27th Jan so i will find out if this has been whats been troubling me for so long, in a strange way i hope it is otherwise its back to square 1 :? I haven't had a major attack since just daily twinges but the thing that bothers me most is the constant feeling of bile in my throat, i have only had this since the last attack, is this normal??? Also flutterings in that area (like a baby's first kicks) just wondering if anyone else has or has had that???

By the way i am 28 years old, overweight and have had two children, in case that has any bearing on this. Sorry for the ridiculously long post but I really needed to get it all out and i thought the more detail the better :D

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yeah that fluttering feeling is probably the [b:2ccfff8e93]Sphincter of Oddi[/b:2ccfff8e93] having spasms, you are lucky its not hurting you while its doing it :D If theres any stones left they should show up (or they mightnt) either way good luck with the ultrasound smile
  • Posted

went for my ultrasound today (27/1/09) and was told i have a fair few stones in there, now waiting to see dr to find out what will be done, will update then. have had one more bad attack since new year but i'm getting twinges and pain pretty much everyday, all in all though i think i'm lucky it hasn't been worse
  • Posted

all the best with your follow up with your dr - at least you now know it is gallstones and further action can be scedualed - good luck with your treatment. let us know what how you get on.
  • Posted

Small ones are the worst because you never know when one is going to get dislodged :? Avoid fatty foods smile
  • Posted

Had my appointment at dr's this week, he was really good spent time explaining all about it, discussed having the operation and possible complications etc then referred me to hospital. Now its a waiting game again for that appointment to come through. :?
  • Posted

Oh good, so hopefully youll hear from the hospital in a few weeks smile
  • Posted

Had a letter through this morning to book an appointment with hospital, nearest one i could get was 1st April, so not much more to add before then. This appointment is to discuss the surgey and a date will then be set for the operation (at least thats what the dr has told me) Feeling a bit despondent as its all taking ages and now i just want it out so i don't keep living in fear of the next attack, i know it sounds pathetic but thats what is really starting to get me down now sad
  • Posted

Hi there.

I can definitely sympathise with the feeling despondent. I have been diagnosed for a year but the Dr won't put me on the operation list coz I am too fat!

OK, I know it is all my own fault but when you are in pain most of the time the last thing you want is to start exercising (sittups are a dreadful prospect).

What will well meaning family members saying \"well you JUST need to lose weight\". \"If you TRIED\", the constant grumbling pain and the fear that a bad attack will have me with my head down the toilet again.

• Posted

Just another little update

Yesterday 1st April had my outpatient appointment, not sure why but i was terrified!! The consultant came in asked me a few questions, poked around my belly a bit, said the operation was the way to go and sent me on my way :shock: Shouldn't be complaining i know but i thought there'd be some info given to me or the opportunity to ask questions but there was nothing like that, kinda felt like i was on a conveyor belt :?

On the upside I'm having the op, they didn't mention my weight :D which was something i'd been panicking about, the wait for the op is 10 - 12 weeks so I'm sure i'll have more questions before then.

• Posted

Tracker,

congrats on getting an op date sorted.

Let us know how ya get on eh?

LellyM xx

• Posted

10 - 12 weeks - if you dont have a date in 10 weeks contact the consultants secretary an query when you can expect to hear from them - i hope you hear somthing soon - good luck - keep us posted .

vix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.