Suspected Gallstones, Surgery Anxiety, Feel so Lost

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi!

I have suspected gallstones (symptoms all point to it, but still waiting for an ultrasound). Since mid August, I've had 8 excruciating pain attacks which wake me up at night, last for hours, are always 8/9 out of 10 in terms of pain, and have ended up with me in A&E or at my GP practice on numerous occasions. The pain is always on the right hand side, under my ribs. Very characteristic of gallstones and I have almost all the risk factors for them so it's very likely that's what it is.

My problem is, I have severe anxiety, and all of this is just making me incredibly anxious. I'm scared to sleep because the pain always happens at night. I'm scared to eat anything because I know certain foods can make it worse (3 out of the 8 times its happened was after eating a McDonalds). I won't let my partner of 5 years share a bed with me anymore because when the pain happens I feel so ill and sick that I just want to be on my own (I know it sounds silly).

I'm terrified of the pain. Last time it happened (a few days ago), I was also horrifically sick and had severe stomach pain too, but I don't know if this is because of my gallbladder or because of the amount of codeine I took on an empty stomach.

So now I'm also wary about taking my painkillers in case they make me sick.

I know if it is gallstones then I'll likely be offered an op to have my gallbladder out, but this terrifies me too. I've never had surgery before. I'm terrified of being in hospital, being in pain, being under anaesthetic. I'm overweight so I'm worried there'll be complications or they'll have to do the surgery open rather than keyhole and leave me with horrific scars.

I've also read plenty on this forum and online about bowel problems after gallbladder removal. I already have IBS so the thought of this is scary too. I've also seen that you can still get pain attacks even after the surgery, so I feel like this is overall just a lose-lose situation for me. Don't have the surgery and live in fear of the pain, or have the surgery and still possibly have pain and other issues.

Can anyone give me some advice or words of wisdom? I can't cope with all this. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel your pain and know your anxiety full well. I myself have severe ibs and had keyhole gb surgery. I have been in agony ever since (1 year). Have to undergo endoscopy to see what is causing all my bloating, pain. From what I see and hear, the opem surgery usually doesn't cause all the complications that keyhole does.

My mother had the open surgery years ago and she was a 250 lb. woman and did fine. Many in my family had the open surgery and all did well.

I can't eat mostly everything any more. My health is shot. Good luck and I will pray you make the decision that is right for you.

• Posted

Oh no! Sorry that you're still suffering. I wonder why the keyhole surgery causes so many complications?

• Posted

your gallbladder is this way from your diet. your waiting your time with ultrasound, it's not going to cure you or take pain away. Remove it and go on strick diet. if not you will in pain forever.

• Posted

I know the ultrasound won't cure anything but it's to confirm the diagnosis. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

i have to be blunt my lovey, stop eating mcDonalds!!!!!! that c...... is so bad for you on every level, no wonder u feel ill.

start making your own soups and smoothies with fresh veg , fruit etc.

if u have gastric issues you must help yourself and eat healthily and then you will feel much better also look into relaxation tequniques for your anxiety such as yoga.

I know I sound harsh but otherwise u will spend a lifetime taking drugs.

all the very best

• Posted

Thank you. It's so hard to find food to eat because of my IBS - lots of food (including some fruit & vegetables ) irritates it. Really narrows down what I can eat if I now have to avoid anything remotely fatty too ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• Posted

but you can eat McDonalds๐Ÿค” the power to change your life is in your hands, not through fast food.

love and peace

• Posted

Yes I can eat McDonalds... ๐Ÿ˜ƒ my trigger foods are spicy food, garlic, onions, milk & some fruit/veg, none of which is in McDonalds. I've already changed my diet to a low fat one to help prevent attacks, but that won't get rid of the stones which are already there.

• Posted

You say you know certain foods, like McDonald's, trigger the attacks. It's quite simple, don't eat them!

I had my scan very quick, at A&E after my second attack that left me hospitalised for 4 days. This can say if you have stones, but not in great detail. You will then need an MRI scan. Whilst waiting for this, I was told to stick to a low fat diet. It didn't stop the attacks completely, but did make them manageable.

I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago, keyhole surgery. Please don't get held up on the horror stories on here, it is quite painful recovery, but so glad I've had it done.

• Posted

I have to wait 6 weeks for an ultrasound even as an 'emergency' - not sure why I couldn't just get one in A&E.

I have been avoiding McDonalds and takeaways etc. since the last attack but I'm still really wary about what I eat because I can't pinpoint exactly what triggers them each time. It's not always McDonalds but I can't remember what I ate the first few times this happened.

I hope you're recovering well after your op.

• Posted

Hi Cerriann I can tolerate McDonalds but not when having an attack and it was Chinese Chow Mein beef or chicken which saw me conquer not eating at all back in January, even though noodles are high fat. I would really hate to think where I would be without Chinese food, its the main part of my diet since Dec & Jan..

Again its worth mentioning we are all different when it comes to eating, I would imagine that our bodies are used to a certain diet therefore it will only be foods we regularly eat which will trigger an attack. This is my main gripe with Dr's, they just say cut out high fat, well that is as broad as Sainsbury's. Then after doing that it was Dairy, Dr says cut out Dairy and last but not least, Sugar but that is because of Pancreas issues being part of my attacks??So, I cannot tolerate Dairy, High Fat and Sugar so if we take this as literally just what are you supposed to eat??? Which is why I lost 32Lb in weight in 1 and a half months because I could not eat anything other than Porridge made with water. Like another post I saw in this site, Gall Bladder issues are a trail and error test and a detectives nightmare often ending up in Attacks trying to work out what foods upset you. And again why some people post they cant eat something that another person can, this whole subject cannot be treated from one person to another as easy as saying "cut it out".

• Posted

You will feel a lot better when you have had your gallbladder removed. That is my personal experience. It is just something you have to go through.

Are you being careful what you eat at the moment? Nothing too fatty. Cheese of any description is an absolute no no. I love cheese so this was difficult for me.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah. Yes I've changed my diet already to low fat, I'm just still really scared of another attack.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte, I fully understand your worry and trust me Gall Bladder problems will make your anxiety worse, its part of the illness. You know like IBS bends you double yet Gall Bladder is pain in your side and chest. Your worry about IBS after GB Extraction is a valid point because the Bile drips from the Liver into the Common Bile duct which goes to the small intestine and its something I have not heard mentioned at all either on this site or on the internet? However the problem is the small intestine gets upset with the constant bile being delivered to it and Drs say that this should clear but many on this site complain months or years after and the only way to treat this is by eating small regular meals which then soaks up the bile and Anti Acid medication which lines the gut. However people may suffer with constipation and diarrhea swings because of this. We are all so very different and some people can eat normally and not have any trouble with toilet habits after extraction!

So with you I would wait until the Ultrasound before worrying at all and if it is proven you got a Gall Bladder issue, ask your Dr about your concerns?

• Posted

Many people on here complain about ongoing issues after surgery, but I think it's important to understand that people with not so good stories are more likely to come on sites like this than people with success stories.

I was an urgent case and waited only 2 months from diagnosis to surgery. Yes, recovery was and still is uncomfortable, but nothing like the attacks.

I also suffer with IBS and only had diarrhoea for a few days after surgery.

I had the op 3 weeks ago and although I still feel bruised, I've eaten whatever I want over Christmas, which has been great!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing that and yes I agree with you entirely. and yes at least you do not suffer the attacks, but there is little information about people who suffer with IBS as well?So your a good person to answer Charlottes fears. Maybe as you go along in time you can keep an update for us. it would be interesting to know if this bile problem does indeed upset the IBS issue??? Happy New Year

• Posted

of course it does affect and cause IBS.

once you have bile problems, you will have IBS all IBS means is your stomach is very sensitive. which causes diharehha and other ailments.

• Posted

Do you know what IBS stands for? Bile from the Liver drops down into the small intestine not the Bowel. IBS is pain all across the waist line and is as bad as Gall Bladder pain except you don't feel like your having a heart attack but your bent in 2.

It does not follow that bile problems will definitely cause IBS pain, but it may cause diarrhea which is part of IBS . As I read in another post some Dr's use IBS as a umbrella of all issues but anyone who suffers with IBS will tell FOR SURE its not!! The same as Gastritis is used to cover any digestive issue. Dr's love making these fairy tale multitude diagnosis because it covers them for making a wrong one. But again as said in here, Gastritis can cause you many problems and like everything else, each one of us reacts differently.

Cerriann is the first person that has brought this matter up to my knowledge, so it obviously does not follow at all, or other people will have said the same thing????

• Posted

Sry Cerriann Got you confused with Charlotte and this site and the way people respond to posts is not much better. Anyway apologies

for mentioning you when someone else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.