Suspected Gallstones, Surgery Anxiety, Feel so Lost

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi!

I have suspected gallstones (symptoms all point to it, but still waiting for an ultrasound). Since mid August, I've had 8 excruciating pain attacks which wake me up at night, last for hours, are always 8/9 out of 10 in terms of pain, and have ended up with me in A&E or at my GP practice on numerous occasions. The pain is always on the right hand side, under my ribs. Very characteristic of gallstones and I have almost all the risk factors for them so it's very likely that's what it is.

My problem is, I have severe anxiety, and all of this is just making me incredibly anxious. I'm scared to sleep because the pain always happens at night. I'm scared to eat anything because I know certain foods can make it worse (3 out of the 8 times its happened was after eating a McDonalds). I won't let my partner of 5 years share a bed with me anymore because when the pain happens I feel so ill and sick that I just want to be on my own (I know it sounds silly).

I'm terrified of the pain. Last time it happened (a few days ago), I was also horrifically sick and had severe stomach pain too, but I don't know if this is because of my gallbladder or because of the amount of codeine I took on an empty stomach.

So now I'm also wary about taking my painkillers in case they make me sick.

I know if it is gallstones then I'll likely be offered an op to have my gallbladder out, but this terrifies me too. I've never had surgery before. I'm terrified of being in hospital, being in pain, being under anaesthetic. I'm overweight so I'm worried there'll be complications or they'll have to do the surgery open rather than keyhole and leave me with horrific scars.

I've also read plenty on this forum and online about bowel problems after gallbladder removal. I already have IBS so the thought of this is scary too. I've also seen that you can still get pain attacks even after the surgery, so I feel like this is overall just a lose-lose situation for me. Don't have the surgery and live in fear of the pain, or have the surgery and still possibly have pain and other issues.

Can anyone give me some advice or words of wisdom? I can't cope with all this. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

just to throw into the mix my surgeon doesn't believe there is such a thing as IBS; it is just an umbrella that undiognosed gastric issues get chucked under,he has been doing gastric surgery for 32 yrs, food for thought.

• Posted

I agree๐Ÿ‘ IBS is thrown around as a diagnosis particulary in the UK, it's used as an easy get out but everything has a reason.

• Posted

It does sound like very bad gallbladder attacks you are having but, when you have the scan it will give you the cause.I suggest that you go on a low fat diet ,try to lose some weight, and to help your gallbladder settle.If you dont feel like a like eating ,try porridge.If its gallbladder pain it should settle if you take care of yourself ,but of course if you have stones or signs of infection it may have to be removed ,general anaesthetic is very good these days and if you ask you will probably be given something to help the anxiety you are suffering from. It is possible your tablets made you feel sick ,as this has happened to me ask your GP for some antisickness tablets. Most people feel anxious about having to have an operation but if gallstones are your problem it would seem the best thing for you .there are lots of people who have had gallbladder removal and make a good recovery and are fine afterwards .

• Posted

Hi townko, I had an ultrasound last week which confirmed gallstones. I've been offered the surgery but I'm not sure whether to have it or not. I've also been on a low fat diet for 3 weeks and have lost 8 pounds so far. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Posted

It is good that you now have a clear cause for your pain ,the weight loss is great and you probably feel better on a low fat diet but now you have to decide whats best for you as you have suffered a lot it looks like removal would be the answer,best wishes.

• Posted

hi all. back in june i was diagnosed with fatty liver disease and gallstones from an ultrasound after having a massive hour long attack of pain in the center of my chest. yes i drank too much alcohol and ate too much greasy fatty food so i have nobody to blame but myself. i went on a strict diet from fruit and veg, fish, chicken and turkey. white grains removed for wholemeal. this was quite a success and i lost 2 stone in weight through doing it. i had lft's done and ive had an mri scan. my liver function test was back to normal and my mri confirmed gallstones (the largest being 14mm) but the main thing was none of the ducts from either the gallbladder or pancreas were blocked. it was the case of see how i go. i dont eat anything high in fat anymore but had another attack on xmas day night. 500mg 30mg co codamol did the trick very efficiently this time after having nothing in the way of pain relief previously! ive had a constant ache on my right flank for weeks and weeks and its gradually got worse so now im back at the docs with this and seeing a consultant next week about removal of the gallbladder. first im wanting to see another ultrasound to see if my liver has got any better or whether this is still a gallbladder issue. my attacks dont occur on my right side like most other reports on here but right in the center of my chest i suppose more like a heart attack but the ache in my side never goes away. it feels like a bruised rib like ive been whacked on the back so theres obviously inflammation of something. the trouble is, gallstones can take months/years to form and the vast majority of them will never leave your gallbladder hence why we are recommended surgery so the more you have the more at risk of passing them, as the pain we experience is the bile ducts contracting whilst pushing stones through to the small intestine. after the stone has dropped, the pain resides. they will never all go though. not even if youve changed your diet. youre diet is to prevent more from forming. ive done the diet change. for six months but still had an attack afterwards. surgery is possibly the only way of piece of mind knowing your stones have been removed although i have read that pain can still occur after removal. id get a second opinion on that though as it cant be stones moving through the ducts. thats impossible as its been removed. if this has happened to anyone then maybe they need to check their pancreatic state. the pancreas also excretes bile through the common bile duct so stones can form from that direction too so if pain exists from gallbladder removal, it must be related to a pancreas issue and would then finger point at diet. i may be wrong but i cant see how pain can still exist if the gallbladder has been removed unless theres another issue. an upset stomach is about the only ongoing issue youd experience after removal because of the bile overload but meds can be prescribed for that in the long term.

• Posted

Every doctor I spoke to said the only effective treatment is removing the gallbladder.

Yes, diet can alleviate some symptoms and attacks, but the stones will still be there.

I was having attacks after a salad!

I would encourage anyone to get the surgery.

• Posted

I'm with you a 100%. I waited and waited over 4 years and my file duck backup and cause cancer and the bile ducks called colangio carcinoma.

It then spread to my liver and they gave me 3 months to live I also had to have a liver resection did chemo and radiation for 2 and a 1/2 years. So my suggestion is don't f**k around with your life and remove it. You might not be as lucky as I was and survive.

There was 7 other guys with me with bile duct cancer at Cedar Sinai fighting it and all 6 died I was the only one that survives after the 2 years of chemo.

• Posted

Oh I fully Understand because had the Dr's moved fast here I would have too.

• Posted

I think all comments are valid, I can only speak from my own experience, dr's always go the easy route! on explaining I can't digest fat it was assumed I had gallstones, basic blood tests were done, liver, kidneys etc ok. Yawn, yes fast forward 3 years, gallbladder removed h hernia repaired and I still can't digest fat and I am awaiting a referal to see another gastro team..........it drives me insane, endless waiting, I have tried every diet cha nge, known to man, pro-biotics, kefir, reflexology, sacro cranial therapy etc, etc. I bought all the books on liver flushes but as I have no faith in the medical profession i daren't try as I worried about stones getting stuck, tough to do on your own.

Anyway happy new year, good to hear opinions.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder out 15 years ago and you will never be able to digest fat that's just how it is. why would you even eat anything with fat.

change your diet

• Posted

hi sal. you say you can never digest fat again. does this mean the good essential fats aswell as the bad saturated stuff? im assuming the outcome would be weight gain??

• Posted

I find that highly offensive, I have had a very good diet all my life, never been over weight and competed at a high level at sports. Everybody needs some fat and I am not talking about saturated fats, animal fats, palm oil, I can't even eat a tiny portion of chicken or half an avacado, even a slice of seeded brown bread. I do not wish to eat fast food McDonalds or the like, so don't be so judgemental, play nicely!!!!!!!!!!

• Posted

Also for your information Sal I know many friends and family who have had their gallbladder removed and pretty much eat what they want, everybody is differentโ˜บโ˜บ

• Posted

Hi Joanna. Sal is not right, everyone is different.

I'm 3 weeks post op and have been eating what I want, including Chinese takeaway and McDonald's with no problems!

• Posted

I can say this is true because I can eat both these items even with the Gall Bladder in and Chinese food was the only way I could find something I liked and could eat repeatedly, even though noodles are high fat. McDonalds I had to be more careful with but if I stuck to what I normally eat I was fine except I do not like eating this type food that regularly. I have said this before, it is ALL to do with what your body knows and is used to. The Gall Bladder just upsets this system it does not follow that it will affect everyone the same way.

The same as when I first came into this site I wanted my GB out but now I think differently, if it has to come then fine but I realize now that just because you have stones does not mean it has to come out and other avenues need to be looked at, diet being one of them?

• Posted

I agree my Brother had his gallbladder out 5 years ago and can eat what he wants, when he wants๐Ÿ‘

• Posted

@sal79893 why would you even eat anything with fat? maybe because fat is an essential part of your diet. too much fat is bad, yes, but you need some fat in your diet in order to absorb fat-soluble vitamins including A, D, E, and K.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.