Suspected hiatal hernia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Ill try and keep it relatively brief, ultimately just hoping to put my mind at ease a little and also pick brains for advice.

Im now 36 years old, at 15 i was diagnosed with ibs, and with a few bouts of severe stress over the years, any gp visit linked to stomach pain, lower back pain etc was always just put down to my ibs, but there have never actually been any tests done.

Fast forward to may last year, i had a period of time whereby i was insanely stressed with work and a few other things. My meal times were all over the place due to work (usually 8.30 - 10pm) after having eaten very little all day. I started to suffer from a burning in my chest, and heartburn, but also a fluttering feeling under my left lung, then what almost felt like a heavy dull burning pain, i guess at times ive likened it to a hot poker. That carried on for a few months, then alongside that i started occassionally feeling like i was struggling to swallow my food, and was sometimes feeling full after eating very little.

This has carried on now but other thungs have developed, really bad back ache, fron the centre (trapezius area) up into my shoulders but predominantly left side.

I am getting tight chested and sometimes a little wheezy at night.

The chest pain has become almost constant alongside the back pain, the chest burning poker feeling is there almost constantly.

There are some other small ailments, aches pains etc but i've basically listed the most prominent issues.

I finally got the courage to see my gp yesterday, he didnt seem overly concerned but has asked for 2 stool samples (testing for h pylori) and something else i believe he said IBD.

He didnt physically examine me or do anything other than prescribe me 2 x 150mg ratiridine daily (i said i didnt want to be taking PPI's for any length of time)

Basically can anyone put my mind at rest that it is sounding like a Hh, also have i made a bad choice by not having something like omezaprol?

Any advice views experiences etc would be a big help right now as feeling pretty uneasy which again i know has probably made the whole thing for the last year even worse by getting anxious.

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Omeprazole is stronger than Ranitidine and usually the go to. I am taking both. You need to see a gastroenterologist asap in order to get the proper treatment. He or she will probably suggest an endoscopy to see what is going on. Good luck!
  • Posted

Let me tell you my friend nothing you said sounds crazy. I was diagnosed with a a hiatal hernia almost a year ago, unfortunately it took me 3 years to finally find out what I had and let me tell you. Those 3 years were the worst anxiety driven years of my life from the slew of symptoms I had.

You totally sound like you have one. Let me throw some other symptoms at you based on experience and see if you recognize these.

Dizzy spells (especially with movement)

Dizzy spells while driving

Pain in abdomen while driving or sitting

Lump in your throat

Hard to breath sometimes

Random pains on left and right side of chest

Itchy Skin

Pins and Needles feeling in veins

Left arm tingles

Feeling like you are having a heart attack

Feeling full for long periods of time, especially after drinking coffee or alcohol

These are the symptoms I had for years that drove me to so much anxiety thinking I was having a heart attack. Once I found out that I just had a hiatal hernia so many of my symptoms went away as I learned many were simply from panic attacks.

I am interested, so let me know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.