Suspected Hyperthyroidism despite normal blood test results?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've thought for a while now that I might have Hyperthyroidism due to suffering from a majority of symptoms associated with it.

I've had:

• Issues with chronic abdominal pain and frequent bowel movements
  • Trouble gaining weight and continuing to lose weight despite changes in diet
  • Insomnia, can't sleep until I'm exhausted
  • Constant fatigue regardless of amount of sleep
  • Loss of appetite
  • Beginning signs of hair loss
  • Excessive sweating even in room temperature
  • Tremors
  • Anxiety and Depression

I'm also concerned I may have an enlarged Thyroid, due to visible lumps under my adams apple. I've had these problems for most of my life and they've worsened over time. I recently had a blood test measure my TSH, T4, T3 Uptake, and Free Thyroxine Index, coming out to:

Respectively.

All these levels were considered normal. Right in the middle of their respective ranges in fact and stunned me since I had thought I was sure the symptoms all seemed to match. Everything people said about having Hyperthyroidism or nodules or goiters, sound like a mirror of everything i've gone through for years. I've though about going to an Endocrinologist and having them conduct further tests on my Thyroid to uncover the issue, but feel that they may see no point if I already have the results of the blood test.

Some basic info about me:

weight:115

height:5'8

BMI:17.5

I was also wondering, If I do suffer from this would Radioactive Iodine be a treatment option for me at my age? Or, would it only consist of Anti-Thyroid medication and Beta Blockers, or potentially surgery? If anyone can offer any advice to help, I would greatly appreciate all of it. Thank you all so much!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

it seems like you’re very thorough and very attuned to your health. I suffer from hypothyroidism and Graves’ disease.I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions and I would definitely find a reputable/good endocrinologist and take it from there

• Posted

I agree. i had a terrible endocrinologist. He tried everything with me and i never got stable. had the nuclear option that killed my thyroid, and then went over 3 and a helf months without medication. Talk about hurt, no sleep, and i hate to say it, but i got pretty ornery.

I found a wonderful Endocrinologist who got me back on medication, and she is making sure that I am doing ok. you should get a second opinion if things just don't

look or sound right!

Hope this helps

• Posted

it seems like you’re very thorough and very attuned to your health. I suffer from hypothyroidism and Graves’ disease.I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions and I would definitely find a reputable/good endocrinologist and take it from there

• Posted

• Posted

What about ultrasound scan and iodine up take scan? You may want go these tests with your Endo and further diagnose your symptoms. GL

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.