Suspected ovarian cancer

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, will try and keep my story short.  Ended up in A&E 2 weeks ago today with suspected appendicitis, turns out I have a very large ovarian mass measuring 29x19x28cm, CA125 levels are also raised at 212.

Had a CT scan that night and a transvaginal US last monday.

Saw gyno yesterday and have now been referred to another hospital to see a gynaecological oncologist and for the operation, (total hysterectomy etc)

They did tell me yesterday that they suspect cancer, mass is fluid but does have 2 small solid parts in it,  my lymph nodes in my abdominal area are slighty enlarged, a small amount of fluid in my abdomen and  omentum is showing signs (cant remember what as i was in shock by this point), but by the looks of it, it has not spread.  

The horriblest part of this all is the not knowing and that they can only suspect that I have cancer

Im now absolutely scared out of my wits

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, it is so interesting to read some of these discussions and how different doctors have a different approach. I kind of wish I had spent more time researching doctors. My doctor was good but he recommended get rid of everything

..in any case, regarding frozen section biopsy performed during surgery. I had a 21cm ovarian cyst removed and the frozen biopsy showed it was benign. I had no fluids but elevated ca125. My CT looked pretty good except for the cyst suspicious for malignancy. My doctor was confident it was benign and the frozen test confirmed this. For whatever reason he decided to send all my removed parts to Stanford for another look and they decided it was not benign. So, I had lymph surgery and it turned out everything bad was out of my body as well as some stuff that could have stayed. They found whatever they found early. Sometimes I think the 2nd report was wrong. Even with the diagnosis my prognosis is good. I am lucky. The worse part of having a cancer diagnosis is the fear you learn to live with.Even when you are told you are ok you worry. But I wouldn't say, tale one day and one thought and one procedure at a time. Get informed but don't overwhelm yourself. Beware if they want to remove lymph nodes. I wish I had said no. The risk vs benefit argument is persuasive, but this wrecked me, much more than the hysterectomy. I am 65 also, but always super heavy. Still super healthy. That's the weird part... Other than lymph surgery damage and anxiety regarding feeling with this for months I feel fine. If it is cancer, the sooner you deal with it the better. And, find a doctor you can talk to who is empathetic.

• Posted

Not heavy. Healthy. Always super healthy. Phone changed what I wrote...
    • Posted

Wow.. what an ordeal. Glad you're doing okay. That is a lot to deal with.

• Posted

Yes, it is. I hope over time my symptoms subside and that I remain cancer free. Thank you.
    • Posted

I think when there is a cancer diagnosis they usally do get rid of everything. I was worried about having lymph nodes removed wen they suspected mine to be cancerous. Because I knew a girl that her leg was constantly swelled up from removing her lymth node. My doctors nurse told me that have ways of fixing that now.Sorry that you are having problems from that surgery.
  • Posted

I was told to put my affairs in order because I had terminal ovarian cancer. Two weeks later I met with the surgeon who said he was 97% certain I did not. He was right.

You absolutely have been referred to the right surgeon. I was referred to a gynaecological oncologist also. He was so respectful and took all the time needed to explain every detail. He made me feel it was his job to save my life and restore my health. Hopefully, yours does too. Make a list of all your questions and be sure to ask for better explanation if you don't understand something.

When I was in his waiting room many of the other women shared their stories of being stage 4 when they went to him and were 10, 15, 20 year survivors. If you are positive be hopeful. It sounds like it is early if at all. They all said how artful the surgeon was and how their recovery went great.

The CT gives a much better idea of what's going on but they can't tell for sure till the get pathology back sections they take during surgery. Did they say if the cyst ruptured? That could explain excess fluid. Solids in cysts can be from the type of tumor.

Ask for a copy of the CT report it will tell you more. Also, take notes when you are there. Makes it easier to remember.

Try not to panic, take it one day, one step at a time. When is your appt. with the surgeon? Talk to him about your white coat anxiety. A mild anti-anxiety med. might be appropriate to help you relax. It's hard when you feel your body is betraying you but sounds like you are in good hands and they are getting you through the system quickly. All good.

Many of the women here are on the other side, post surgery and recovered. They realize they panicked needlessly. But easy to say on the other side. Try to focus on things that soothe you, music, friends, etc. Take time to just be still.

Use your adrenaline to cook extra portions of your meals so you don't have to cook right away when you get home. Make your bedroom peaceful for comfort now and recovery later. Have faith it will come out well. Trust your instincts when making your decisions. Talk to your surgeon about preserving organs if sections come back negative. You're still young and if you don't need them out to preserve your health keep them.

Overall we are here for you, sending prayers, support, and hugs.

• Posted

So sorry for you to go through this. I've been in similar situation this summer. I had a salphingooperectomy to remove just tube ovary with tumour and steroid producing cyst. I was very pedantic and really specific with consent form for op. So so glad i was behaving like that...neurotic...I realize it was for a reason now. Because I had addressed and spelled out all fears even the petty things. I was making better decisions. I wrote a letter for my consultant as my gp suggested and gave it to her nurse to pass on before my appointment. Yes letter sounded like I was crazy but I would rather look that... than be upset with regret after op.

When I'd asked and said everything I did calm down but realised there was part of the op that really frightened, even if barely thought of it. talked this over with doc and she said its my body and if i feel that worried we can split procedures over 2 ops. I opted for that and left my other non functioning ovary well alone. (It was due to be stimulated by making a few holes)

After op and all healed 2 months in I still felt a bit of hope i could have children once the remaining ovary is considered for drilling. Strangely but wonderfully the removal of the steroid producing cyst stimulated the other ovary into action and no need for op. I now have a regular period after 20 years.

Be a complete crackpot (polite) also tell them you are scared witless ..and cover all your concerns. You are going through so much they will see your behaviours as expected and support you.

Just keep reminding yourself that you are glad all this was spotted before it had gone past point of an op. Knowing what has picked a fight with you is half battle.

• Posted

Good evening ladies

Thought about starting a new thread, but I though I would post an update on this one

As some of you may remember on the 17th August I ended up hospital with suspected appendicitis, this turned out not to be the case.

A CT scan that day revealed a very large ovarian cyst/mass measuring 29x19x28cm who was quickly named as “FRED” the alien

I was then referred to Maidstone Hospital gynaecology/oncology dept.

After seeing my new consultant on the 14th September, I had major abdominal surgery on Thursday 13th October which resulted in a total hysterectomy, omentum removall and the removal of a now even larger “FRED” which had grown to a whopping 40cms in size, weighed in at a spectacular 2 ½ stone plus which had also produced between 12-16ltrs of fluid

Frozen sections were taken at the time of the operation and these have shown that the cyst has borderline abnormal cells in it. Will hopefully get results this week

Came home on Monday with roughly a 10inch scar, doing okay.

• Posted

Your are the first person that Ive seen that beat me mine was 37cm I lost 30s lbs in the hospital. You are going to feel so much better after a couple of months.I also had a total hysterectomy as I had a 3cm on the other ovary and didnt want to worry about another growing if they save that ovary.Im four months out and feeling great. I will say a prayer that you get good news when you get your results back and wish you a speedy recovery
  • Posted

Wow! That is shock after shock after shock with Fred the Alien - and he grew! I am following this thread because I look forward to hearing about your results. I wish you all the best healing energy right now, and thankful for you that that creature is out of you! 

I had my 10cm (a baby by comparison) cyst removed on Friday last week. I'm still going through the motions, waiting for biopsy, etc. I had a full horizontal style cut about 12cm wide. 

I thought I'd make you laugh and tell you mine didn't ever get a name - but I did ask the surgeon to take a photo of it so I could have a look later, and my first thought was OH! THAT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT TESTICLE! So we've resorted to calling it the "Bull Ball". Crude I know, but that's my comedic bravado. 

We haven't had any children yet - I'm 33 - and laughed and cried when my husband said after seeing the Bull Ball "It's such a pity our first baby was such a f*** up!" - you have to laugh, don't you? cheesygrin All the absolute best to you - I look forward to hearing about your recovery.

• Posted

Hi ladies

Hope you are all well, just a update

"Fred" was confirmed a few weeks ago as a mucinous borderline tumour, the good news

Is that I do not require any further surgery/chemo, I'm so relieved and happy.

Its coming up to 7 weeks since my operation, except for a course of antibiotics slight infection this cleared up after having the stitches removed.

Then weekly visits to the nurse for about 3 weeks to remove pesky

bits of stitches (apparently I was stitched up rather well lol)

I'm doing good, building up the stamina with lots of walking (I hate walking as well, knee problems lol)

Having a surgical menopause, the hot flushes have kicked in and are a common occurance at the moment especially at night, had a few during the day as well

Hospital appt on the 14th Dec for a check up, staging and discussion about HRT with the Macmillian nurse at Maidstone

Need to know whether I will need to have yearly check ups as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.