Suspected RA

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all.  So for some time now I've been experiencing sore soles of feet when I get up, then I started with sore wrists, elbows and now find making a fist with both hands difficult and painful.  There's stiffness in all these joints and occasionally a snap moment of pins and needles in hands.

I also suffer from renal tubular acidosis and there is a known link  to RA with this condition.

I began the investigation process today.  However, the one thing that is missing is swelling.

Has anybody here been diagnosed with RA without swelling?  I'm worrying so much and don't want to if it's likely to be osteo.

Please let me know if you've experienced symptoms like me and been positively diagnosed but not had significant swelling.

Thank you 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with RA and have no swelling.  That was two yrs ago and the same except the 3rd finger of my one hand has some slight swelling.   The diagnosis was made with xrays of my hands and followed up by MRI of hands.   My blood test is RA neg but other results were slightly positive.    RA mostly involves joint pain in same joints on the left and right side.  Although I have right foot but not left involved at present

You could have osteo but from what you are reporting it most likely is RA.   But the doctor is the one to make the correct diagnosis

Best wishes,

• Posted

Hi Kay. I started with all of the above ! The not being able to make a fist was the worst thing ever. I also didn't have any swelling to see, but internally my joint tissue was being attacked. On a positive note, my feet were the first to get better once diagnosed. Wear really really comfortable flats always until you get to the bottom of this, and get a referral asap to a Rheumatologist. Good luck and keep posting x

• Posted

Hi Kay. I never have had much for swelling in any of my affected joints. Equally interesting is that my lab tests for inflammation. Are always normal too. The only 2 tests that are abnormal are the rheumatoid factor, and CCP AB - both very highly abnormal. Even whend I've been at my worst and could barely walk, or hold a cup this has been the. As with me. I do have some nodules and permanent wrist damage that can be seen and I get some redness on some joints. But swelling? Nope. This can be frustating tho, as my rheumatologist sometimes has a hard time seeing what I'm feelng... such is RA - fruatrating.

Best to you on your journey to find answers.

• Posted

Hi Justgettinby,

Something in what you mentioned in your response to kay has me a bit intrigued. You said that your inflammation come back normal on your test but your Rheumotoid factor is abnormal. I thought that inflammation was a part of RA. Am I wrong? My sedmentation levels are always high. Can you please tell me what CCP is?

Thanks

• Posted

It is, and I do get very inflamed, the numbers just don't show it and I also do not get noticeable swelling unless I'm extremely inflamed. The CCP test is checking for antibodies specific to RA - cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP). It helps diagnose RA.

• Posted

I was diagnosed about 8 yrs ago now and never had any swelling. The rheumatoid factor was very high and I was sero-positive. I have not had any visible swelling over those years until a few months ago my right foot and ankle started to swell. I have been off meds for over a year due to being in remission so just hope this recent swelling is not due to that. So the answer is yes you can have RA without swelling although of course that could change over the years.
  • Posted

Hi Kay

I have seropositive RA but for the first few years did not get any swelling (I now get a bit). I also initially struggled with the sole of my feet but with treatment, that aspect has mainly gone. 

I hope things become clearer for you soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.