Suspected scaphoid fracture

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I had a fall about a month ago, nothing to serious, tripped over a curb and landed with my hands flat on the concrete. The main pain I had was in my elbow, nothing serious though just a sprain which went away after a couple of weeks.

Three days ago however I start getting swelling at the base of my thumb, mainly on the palm side towards the wrist.

At the moment I have a bit of stiffness in the wrist, the swelling is still there, quite a bit of pain when gripping . I saw the GP this morning who pressed on the ''anatomical snuff box'' and again there was tenderness / pain. She was quick in suspecting a scaphoid fracture? Instead of going to A&E I had a GP X-Ray done which can take 2-3 weeks to send back. I did question though why a fracture would appear a few weeks down the line and she said it was common for this to happen.

Any idea on what this fracture is, what it means? She said it can often now show on X-ray... what happens if it doesn't but they still suspect it?

Anyone had experience with this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gremlin168

I once had a suspected scaphoid fracture but was told that nothing would show up on x-rays for 2-3 weeks after the event. I went to the hospital A & E on the day as a precaution. They put it in plaster first and told me to come back in 3 days. I went back but the fracture still wasn't visible and I had to return 2 weeks later. This is normal for scaphoid due to the size of the bone and swelling in the area. In the end mine wasn't scaphoid at all but another small bone very close to the scaphoid. By the time they did the further x-ray, it had mostly healed so I only needed a wrist support not plaster cast.

• Posted

One thing I am concerned about is that it will take 2 - 3 weeks to come back for my x-ray results, I had them last week. My hand while it isn't agonizing seems to be getting worst, my grip is very weak, it's painful in the night and I still have swelling.

I have read that alot of these fractures don't show on X-Rays, my fear is, knowing the NHS, that if it doesnt show nothing will be done= /

• Posted

Just a quick update, still need advise.

X-Ray results still not back after a month. What can I do in the mean time?

I am wearing a wrist sprint that i bought online which seems to help currently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.