Suspected Seizure!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, I had some kind of seizure last January and was taken to the Hospital, and later released that day. When I had an appointment with my Consultant he confirmed this as a Suspected Singular Seizure. I am now waiting for a MRI scan and results, then hopefully I can carry on as normal with my life.

I have had to surrender my driving licence to the DVLA for six months as long as I don't have another Seizure . As I can't drive my car or motorcycle, I was wondering if it was possible to ride a push bike. I should be starting back work soon and this would be my only form of transport so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Phil.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I was in a very similar situation as yourself. I was in a car accident (not a serious one) and was OK. After about 4 months I was at a meeting and suddenly collapsed. I remember little of what happened next apparently waking up in a daze and with me insisting I go home (which luckily I did not drive home) An Ambulance was called and after that I remember little until I was in hospital. After several days, number of tests, EEG,MRI, ECG and eventually a lumber puncture - all were clear so they could not work out what had caused this to happen to me. Eventually, still in the hospital, I was met with the senior neurological consultant who said either you can stay into hospital for another few weeks a day do more intensive tests or we can call it epilepsy (tonic/colonic) and discharge you the same day. I took the option to get out and to call it epilepsy and was discharged the same day with a prescription for medication and how it was to be administered.

As yourself I had to surrender my drivers licence for 6 months seizure free & then get the DVLA to get a letter from my gp highlighting the fact that I have been seizure free for 6 months.

I got my licence back immediately although when I have to renew it is 2026 I have to declare I am classified as being epileptic and seizure free.

I am still on prescribed medication but since that one off occurane I have never had another 'episode'

In the 6 month in between I did ride my bike and I did not have to declare it as if that was the case you would have declare this everytime you left the house!!!

I hope this helps and that after the 6 months without any other seizures you do you get back driving.

Epilepsy is still a very understood situation and everyone has difference experiences. Like myself it was a one off episode which has now been labeled as epilepsy and prescribed medication. One word of caution. Once you are on that medication it is difficult to come off it and if you do you have to disclosure this to the DVLA etc

Sorry I cannot be any further help but best of luck

• Posted

Hi John, thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry to hear what you went through, and glad everything is looking good for you now. I did mention to the Consultant at the Hospital about starting exercise, and he said as long as you're with someone. But like you said its pretty impossible to have someone with you all the time, so cant see it as a big problem to ride my bike. The only concern ive got is riding on a main road, but most of my journey would be pavements and dirt tracks.

Thanks Phil.

• Posted

Hi DVLA is usually one year so check up on that otherwise u can be done .

PUSHBIKE, this is dodgy in case you have a fit and fall off or end up under the wheels of a car etc.

Perhaps you could get a lift to work from someone until you get the all clear ? 

• Posted

Hi, luckily I only had a Suspected Singular Seizure so it's a surrender of you licence for six months. Push bike! Think this is a bit of a grey area, if I was riding on the roads I can fully understand the dangers. But I'm thinking of cycle paths and dirt tracks which isn't to bad, just need the Doctor to give me the go ahead.

Thanks Phil.

• Posted

Hi Guys, I'm back for a bit more advice. Since my Suspected Seizure everything as been going well, up until last Monday when I was just relaxing on the chair. I suddenly got a sickness feeling bad head and went all giddy, for a minute or so I was not with it at all. After around 10 minutes I seemed fine again just wondered if anyone as had something similar.

Thanks Phil.

• Posted

Hi, I've been seen by the Doctor and he us now seeking advice from my Consultant on the headache and sickness which I had. The Doctor wants to put me on some kind of medication, so is just waiting for a second opinion. My concern now is if I go on the medication would it delay my chances of getting my licence back within the 6 months as I only have 3 months to go now before I'm able to drive. PS....my MRI results have come back fine.

Thanks Phil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.