Suspecting IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my symptoms started a few months back. I started noticing my symptoms and googled it and one condition that keeps popping up is IBS. I got curious and decided to learn more about it and the symptoms and so far, I have ALL of the most common symptoms. I have frequent alternating between constipation and diarrhea. I learned that mental health problems can affect this and for the pass year or so, I've been feeling more worried, stresssed, and not always happy (sometimes easily irritated). I took quizzes to see if I have anxiety and if it's mild or bad and I also searched symptoms of it and it seems like I have pretty bad anxiety problems. And also, the biggest trigger of my anxiety is the fact that my symptoms could also indicate colon cancer and I'm getting really anxious because of how similar symptoms of IBS and colon cancer are. The only difference is that I don't really see any trace of blood in my stool (a few weeks ago, I wiped and saw a little bit of blood so I go at mirror and saw that I have a cut right next to my butthole but I think it healed), I don't really have anemia(not sure what that is either), no unintended weight loss, no fever or constant fatigue (I do get tired sometimes but it's from staying up late on my phone, I trying to stop though). I do have abdominal pain and it would decrease from a bowel movement but it would keep lingering on for a few more minutes because going away. The pain is usually lower abdomen or lower left abdomen (especially when I'm constipated). Sometimes even upper but only occasionally. I also noticed undigested food like red bits that look like tomato skin, onion skin like pieces, sometimes black specks when I wipe, and these mucus thingy (more water kinda help reduce mucus in my stool, I noticed). I'm only 12 (I'm slightly overweight by a few pounds but not much) I think I had some medical history with constipation that my doctor said is nothing serious, which was a few years ago. I don't have anyone in my family who have any sort of cancer I pretty sure. But there is a gene of digestive problems on my dad side but they aren't anything too serious either. So yea, I have all of the symptoms for IBS and now I'm trying to be more active, eat more healthy. Not sure if Its working yet because I'm still lacking a bit but I'm trying. I exercise more frequently and I think it isn't working a bit but not a lot because I've started just recently (probably a week or so). Im really scared and I feel like the anxiety is really triggering my symptoms like yesterday I was really stressed and then I had pretty bad bloating and gas but it could also be from the amount of ice cream and dairy products I consumed. But anyways, I'm really hoping it's not cancer or anything life threatening. I'm too scared to tell me parents but I know I will tell them soon. Sorry you had to read this really long paragraph but please reply if you can!!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kay,

IBS is not cut and dry. Symptoms may differ for different people. I would go to FODMAP as a go to ref guide which gives you an idea of what yo should or should not eat. Also it’s a great idea to keep a diary of your meals and the results after you eat each one. Then you will have a better idea of what you can eat that will not upset your gut.  Hope it helps.

• Posted

Hey diane! Thank you so much for reply and I would keep your advice in mind. I'm trying a low FODMAP diet and limiting red meat. I got a diary recently and I have a feeling that it's gonna be my best friend for quite a long time.

• Posted

Colon cancer would be extremely rare in someone of your age; it is much more likely you have IBS which is very common in children.  Your symptoms sound very like it.  You are much too young to have cancer worries! 

I got IBS at the age of 42 after a prolonged bout of stress and anxiety. Any time I get stressed or anxious, my abdomen starts to hurt and I sometimes get diarrhoea too.

I would ask your mum or dad to go with you to the doctor to get your symptoms diagnosed.  Once you get a diagnosis, this will help your anxiety.  I had bad health anxiety before I was diagnosed, but once my doctor confirmed IBS, my health anxiety cleared up.

• Posted

Thank you so much!!! I'm trying to change my lifestyle and do more exercises like yoga to help with my anxiety and stress so hopefully it would help (kinda seems like it does). And I will go to a doctor to get a diagnosis but probably not right now, there's a lot of stuff going on in my family which I think is where my stress came from.

• Posted

Make sure you go as soon as possible so you can start getting treatment.
  • Posted

Also, Ive watching my weight and going on the scales way more and I noticed flucuating. It keeps going up and down like I could be at 8 pounds (just ex. not actual weight) this time and a few hours later, I could drop from almost a pound to 3 pounds at most but then it would keep going up and down again. Is it normal and because I keep weighing myself (literally multiple times a day, Idk why) or is this some health issue? The biggest fluctuating is probably around 3 pounds and I'm usually around 107-108 and it hasn't dropped farther than that. 

BTW sorry for bad English if there is any because English is not my first language and autocorrect is not my friend

• Posted

Don’t weigh yourself multiple times a day; you will give yourself heath anxiety! Weight does fluctuate especially when weighing yourself after eating and when you have your clothes on.  The scales will also vary depending on how you are standing on them.

A normal number of times to weigh yourself would be once a week only if you are dieting.  However, since this is causing you anxiety, I would recommend you don’t weigh yourself at all!

• Posted

I'm really sorry to bother you again but you do know any remedies to relieve constipation, bloating, and abdominal pain? I've been feeling good for a few days because I just started a new diet but today, I made some poor choices and now I'm suffering. Ate a lot fried and fatty food and now I got bloating and abdominal pain that would defintely be relieved by a BM but I'm constipated and can only poop out so small pebbles. Sorry to bother again!

• Posted

Avoid fatty and fried food since it triggered your symptoms and try lots of fruit or a short term laxative for the constipation. Has your doctor diagnosed you with IBS? If he has, ask for an antispasmodic such as Buscopan for the pain.  Try going gluten free to see if that helps the bloating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.