Suspicious for Crohns colitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently been investigated for recurring iron deficiency. Calprotectin came back raised so I was sent for colonoscopy. This looked normal but biopsies came back from colon showing mild chronic inflammatory bowel disease suspicious for Crohns colitis but not definitely diagnostic. Terminal ileum and rectal biopsies were normal. Histology also showed focal lymphoid hyperplasia. I have also been suffering lower right abdo pain and fissures. I have been started on Clipper 5mg for a month but at the minute im feeling confused as to whether I should be taking anything without a definite diagnosis. Has anyone been in a similar position? Also awaiting an MRI. Can an MRI show evidence of old/current inflammation?  Quite confused over what is happening. I have asked if I have Crohns and all I've been told is mild inflammation. 

Many Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Fissures and crohns go hand in hand, ask for pillcam endoscopy, it checks all of the small intestine, if clipper is steroid then it might all clear up before they can do pillcam leading to a false negative 
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny, im due to see them again in a month so will see what happens/they say then. I was told the MRI scan would be a few weeks. Clipper is a steroid but can only use it for a month apparently. Biopsies from terminal ileum were normal so could it still be further up my small bowel without effecting the ileum itself? I've read crohns usually starts at the ileum.
  • Posted

Yes crohns can go from mouth to the "other end" trouble is steroids will force remission and unless you have scarring there they won't see it, you could leave message with gastro secretary and ask for Pill cam so you don't have to wait months for it.  I have high calprotectin clear colonoscopy, clear biopsy so was arguing why I needed pillcam they said it can be further up in small intestines so awaiting results apparently more safe than endoscopy less chance of perforation the only thing the colonoscopy would exclude is ulcerative collitis.  I believe what they are looking for is ulcers, strictures and fissures not just inflammation, inflammation can be caused by celiac disease, allergic reactions etc. Note, I am undiagnosed this is all stuff the gastrologist and crohns forums have said x
    • Posted

That's what I was thinking about the steroids, come MRI there might not be anything to see. Part of me wonders why i should be taking them now considering the diagnosis isn't definite. Guess I'll just have to wait for this MRI to be done. I hope they get your diagnosis soon. Thanks for your replies, great help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.