Suspicious of Thyroxine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I like to think for myself,   my past has taught me that doctors often get it wrong, due to lack of common sense or not looking at the whole picture thoroughly.   Was diagnosed with underative thyroid about a year ago - due to me pushing and pushiing them to do a blood test that would confirm it. They kept insisting I was wrong. Strange that because I had aches, felt very cold, had awful headaches and other symptoms of UNDERACTIVE THYROID! The blood test confirmed I was right.  I took 25 mg to start and felt much better, but this was increased and increased.  Yet I still get symptoms and feel I could increase and increase this more and more forever and still feel awful. My underactive thyroid had been coming and going for years but got much worse when a stupid doctor gave me a medicine for yet another ear ache, which you should never take if you have an underactive thryoid, it immediately attacked my thyroid and made it worse.   But to me it is obvious this could be a temporary thing. This never occurred to the doctor. 

Nor did it occur to the doctor to wonder why I got so many ear aches, headaches, sinus problems etc. It was all because of the underactive thyroid, which I had to keep pointing out to him.

I pointed out to my doctor that I now have a horrible cough/wheeze which is so bad I often wake in the morning coughing and coughing unable to sleep or relax and then find it impossible to work during the day.  He looked at me as if to say SO WHAT? and said that as I had ventolin inhalers they must be the cause.  Really? Well I have had those inhalers for over 30 years, strange they never caused that before.And I hardly ever use them! IF they made me feel that bad I would have thrown them away.

I became suspicious that you can start off with a slightly underactive thyroid and then your own thyroid becomes lazy as you take the fakes, and this means you have to keep increasing the dose.  Not good. This would explain how come I was borderline with only a very slightly underactive thyroid which has become very underactive a year later.  Then they say you must take it forever because you are now needing it.  In other words this is great for the doctor who gets a kick back from the pharmaceutical companies and great for them too as they sell lots of it.  But not good for the patient. Who would have been better off coping with a slightly underactive thyroid.

Have just read a very good  book by a naturopathic doctor MARTIN BUDD - Why am I so tired? He says. Taking thyroxine does not guarantee an improvement in the eficiency of their thryoid. In fact by artificially introducing a hormone the gland can become less efficient. reducing its output. With thyroid tissue supplements  the  blood thyroxine improves as a direct result of the patients thryoid becoming more efficient. When this leads to symptom relief  the dose can be discontinued or continued at a lower dose.

Will now be taking the natural ones which are proven to enter into the system and be used by the body, at least that way I have a chance of feeling better, not having to keep increasing the dose, and maybe being able to come off of them altogether one day.

Remember that doctors go home to their family and go out having a great time when they  have finished work. They do not lay awake all night worrying about how awful you feel. You have to research and take care of yourself.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I do agree with you. when I was first put on levothyroxine 50 mcgs they had to lower it to 25 mcgs due to side effects. Then as my body absorbed it I went up to 50 mcgs which I felt OK on although still a not tired. My Tosh reading levelled and I stayed on that amount

However when I had my blood tested 3 months later my Tsh levels had elevated again and they put me on 75 mcgs and then I had unbearable side effects which were just like the hypothyroid symptoms. So I have now gone back to 50 mcgs as I think the thyroid just gets lazy and packs up. At least on a lower dose it will try to make up for the deficiency.

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I so agree with you, I also think the thyroid gets lazy and that is why it might not be a good thing to continue to take the synthetic medication. I began on 25 mg and felt much better, but the side effects are bad as I increase. As I am borderline to begin it is a bit odd that a few months later I need three times that amount. The book by Michael Budd tells us that if you take the natural thyroid you have a chance of it levelling out and maybe getting better but if you take the synthetic you hazve to keep increasing and/or stayng on it.  I also agree with you about the deficiency.  I sometimes take the thyroxine with some kelp so they work together, so long as it is not alot of it.

A while ago I bent over and got a very bad bad suddenly, just by leaning to pick something up. The first nurse who saw me looked at my back and said  URRGH YOU HAVE A BAD LUMP THERE. LOOKS VERY DODGY AND DANGEROUS andhinted at it being a tumour.  She worried me sick. The second one said no it is just a soft lump of tissue, nothing to worry about. I have since found out that some people with an underactive thyroid get a soft lump of flesh here or there like that.

So one wonders why we are taking the medication in a way. I still have high blood pressure etc same as before I took any medication. The nurse says take this and that but should not need to. Am now taking the natural thyroid and seeing how that goes.  Has anyone taken the Taiwan version if so please tell me how you got on.

• Posted

Hi! Could you tell me the outcome of this please? I've just been prescribed Levothyroxine when my only symptom has been anxiety (which I'm sure has nothing to do with my Thyroid) my Tsh was 5.6 and t4 normal at 11.6. Previous blood tests have shown that my thyroid was getting less under active and heading back to 'normal' so I'm not sure why I've been prescribed anything! Thanks
    • Posted

This puzzles me too. Some people get anxiety or depression due to thyroid but have never heard of it being the only symptom. How are you feewling now?
  • Posted

Hi Carmel,everything you say is so true,I have had under active thyroid for over 30 years,and still have some of the symptoms even so I have been on thyroxine,I am taking 100 Mgcs.i feel I could go lower because like you I think putting this in is making the thyroid lazy.i am going to see my G P next week and will discuss this with him.
    • Posted

Hope you get on well with doctor on these things.  Most of them just say take the medication and get annoyed if you do not, even if you have very good reason.  They like it all cut and dried to suit them.  I have sometimeds lowered or highered mine without discussing it with him, makes life so much simpler.
  • Posted

Some people find that when they cut out dairy, their cough goes away.

• Posted

That is when people get a bad sinus more than  a bad cough. And that is when they are allergic to dairy. And my cough suddenly came on when I had not changed my diet. I get days where it is bad and days where it is ok. So that makes no sense if it is to do with dairy.  I have very little dairy anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.