svt

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed as having svt just over a year ago although I have had palpitations for over 7 years. My symtoms were annoying but I could cope until nov 06 when it lasted over 3 hours and I coulnt catch my breath and had tightness in my chest. I was given Adenosine at a@e but was exhausted for days afterwards. After frequent episodes and many visits to a@e whilst on verapamill I have finally an app for an ablation on the 31st jan. I feel as if svt has taken over my life because of the frequency of attacks. I am an otherwise fit and healthy 54 year old woman but svt has left me constanly tired and lacking in energy. I also have a leaky heart valve and an underactive thyroid to contend with. I am scared to have the ablation but i am trying to think posatively and look forward to getting my life back to normal. Reading this web site has encouraged me ten fold so thanks to everyone who has made the effort.

Jeanette.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jeanette,

So sorry to hear of your experiences with svt, I was only diagnosed with it last June, i didn't know what was happening to me at the time. I really believed I was having a heart attack. I am now on Verapamil and it seems to have eased the palpitations. Do you still get your attacks of svt whilst on this medication? The side effects of the medication bother me at the moment. It has really lowered my blood preasure, so feel light headed and tired most of the time. Have you experienced any side effects? I have been offered the ablation but as yet I don't know what to do, do I stick with the medication for life or go for it and hopefully get it sorted.

Good luck with your ablation on the 31st, please let me know how you get on. Which hospital are you having the ablation?

Take care.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your interest and support. I am having ablation done in the Infirmary. Verapamill 240 daily doesnt seem to have made much difference. I kept a diary of episodes for the consultant and experienced an average of 10 a month ranging from 5 mins to 3 hours. I dont know if the med or the svt makes me tired but I never have much get up and gp at the moment.Flecanide made my heart rate too slow and I felt light headed and fainted a few times but while I was on it I had no episodes of svt. I will definately let you know how the ablation goes. Finding this site has made me feel less of a \"freak\" for want of a better word. Take care.

Jeanette

• Posted

Hi Jeanette,

Just wanted to say good luck with the ablation on Thursday, hope all goes well for you and you can get rid of the svt once and for all.

I have decided to have it done after 2 months of worrying, there is a 12 weeks waiting list in my area so could be March /April time.

Please if you find the time let me know how the procedure went.

Take care and all the very best of luck it works first time...

Helen

• Posted

hi helen,

Had the ablation on thurs. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. Apparently the faulty av node was at an awkward position and after 4 and half hours of trying the prof was unable to ablate it. I will definately go back and have ti done again in the near future. Good luck with yours.

Take care

Jeanette

• Posted

Hi Jeanette

I was so sorry to hear that the ablation was unsucceful, hope when you have it done in the near future they can get to the effected tissue.

I am not looking forward to having mine done. The fear of it is awful.

I will let you know when and how i get on.

Take care.

Helen

• Posted

please check out entry headed 'instant relief from svt', and discuss it with your consultant. This method of traetment is called a valsalva manoeuvre.
  • Posted

Hi Phillip,

I too have used this method in a and e but only once did it work. They gave me a syringe home with me, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt but definately worth a try. I am happy to hear that it works for you and hopefully on your advice that it will for others.

Good luck

Jeanette

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.