Svt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone! Now that my svt episodes have got worse again, I am terrified to go on holiday in case it happens. I feel so frightened when it happens here I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel if i was not in my own home!?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had SVT episodes for 20+ yrs but had no idea what they were. They were very random but lasted maybe 15 seconds and then I was back to normal. I explained my symptoms to several doctors but they shrugged and said "unless it happens while you are here, I have no idea". I finally had a very strong one about 1 month ago but it seemed to go away. I was on my way to a doctor's appointment for something totally unrelated and had another one while in the docs office. I didn't feel good at all but figured I was still recovering from a bad cold. The nurse came in to take my vitals and told me my pulse was high but then left. The doctor came in immediately to ck my pulse and said "I can't see you today- you have to go to the ER NOW! Well, then I was nervous but luckily there was an emergency room downstairs from the docs office. My pulse was at 230! They gave me medicine through an IV that stopped and restarted my heart. Very unpleasant but over in 20 min. I had 3 more visits to the ER in the next three days so the doc scheduled an ablation. That was two weeks ago and I feel fine now. Unfortunately, the doctor said the cause of the SVT episodes was a "rogue cell" instead of a node misfiring. They burned a larger area hoping to get everything but said I could end up with another rogue cell in the future. Has anyone had this same experience?

• Posted

I think that's the thing with svt it has to be caught on the monitor to get a diagnosis...

I was diagnosed last year but I think I may have had it for many years.

Thsy always put it down to anxiety, ectopic beats, palpitations  and I just accepted that as I do suffer from anxiety!

I have never heard of a rogue cell...

Hoping to get an Ep study done to try and locate for ablation!   

• Posted

My cardiologist said that a "rogue cell" was unusual. He said the cell was just deciding to send out signals on its own for no reason.. Evidently those kinds of cells stick together so he is optimistic that they got them all. I just found out that my grown daughter has the episodes also. I hate that maybe I passed that on to her!. I hope your doctor gets things all figured out!

• Posted

I hope you continue to do well and become one of the many people whose ablation gives them a true cure.   

If you'd like, you could read about ectopic heart beats, which is what your physician is calling "rogue". "Ectopic" means in the wrong place (as with an ectopic pregnancy), and heart beats in some of us can originate in places away from our normal pacemaker.  They're very common and, in an otherwise healthy heart, are not dangerous.  I'm glad, because some days I have more than a thousand of them.

Please keep us posted, and take care.    

• Posted

Yikes! Mine were so bad once I had the first big one that I was in the ER getting rebooted each time it happened. I can't imagine having as many as you do a day. I couldn't breathe very well or stand up. How do you stand it???

• Posted

My son also has svt, so i passed it onto him, he copes with it well like i did when i was his age.  my 2 daughters are ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.