svt

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, not been on here for a while as my anxiety has been really bad re my fast heart rate svt...

What really worries me is i'm on 240mgs of verapamil in the morning and 120mg in the evening ang my heart rate is still fast! Don' know if verapamil slows down an axious heart!?

I am now waiting for an appointment for an ablation (ended up going private as waiting times were so long) This svt has ruined my life since the 30th of October 2015 when I had my first attack caught on ecg ( I personally think I have suffered from this for as long as I can remember.

I won't go on holiday, I'm off work, basically I won't go far from my home or local hospital... Couldn't tell you how many times i've made my way down and waited outside and monitered my heart rate to see if it comes down to save me going in...

Now terrified at the thought of the ablation! But surely it can't be worse than going trough this!?

To be honest i'm now becoming more afraid of living my life with this than dying as I feel it's ruining not just my life but my families also.

I can't even remember what it's like to be "Normal" anymoresad

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian, considering an ablation is definitely the right decision for you. Your svt is interfering with your life, and an ablation will help you with that. I'm so sorry for your anxiety....I know its hard not to be with with svt 😕 Keep us posted on your Drs appt..good luck!

• Posted

Thank Paullie, yes I think it is the only way forward for me...

Some people seem to be able to cope with episodes of svt but I just find them so debilitating!

How do you cope?

• Posted

Gillian, I am pretty good when I'm not having an episode...but when I am having one or feel any kind of flutters, I can't help but be anxious....we have to keep reminding ourselves it's NOT life threatening!

• Posted

Hi Gillian,

I totally understand your anxiety.  I have had SVT for 20 years. The episodes are getting more frequent and more severe. Most of the time I have to go to the ER and get adenosine to return my heart to normal, so I have also decided to get an ablation because I live in constant fear of another attack. The ablations are usually successful. It is very rare for anyone to die from SVT or from an ablation, so just remember that and hopefully the ablation will cure your SVT and you can get your normal life back.

• Posted

I hope so and the same to you too... Can't imagine what it's like now to be "Normal"

• Posted

[color=#333333]What you are going thru many of us have gone thru.

The initial shock and trauma once your condition is fully realized is overwhelming and you think that as bad as it is right now will never change.[/color]

[color=#333333]It will.  You will get thru this.

You will learn to manage this.  You will learn from people and yourself and then you will develop healthier lifestyle habits to offset your heart issues.  You can be normal again by overcompensating for your issue but doing tons of the good stuff.  It works.

I discovered mine the hard way.  After working 36 hours straight with no sleep I died.  I had to be shocked back alive.  That was 17 years ago.  Diagnosis: SVT.  I had an underlying genetic issue which I became the victim of because of my stupid lifestyle.  For the first 6 months after that I felt sorry for myself.  After that I picked myself up.  I put more effort into living.  I used my body more to make it more efficient, to compensate for my heart weakness.  I adopted healthier lifestyle choices.

It was not easy.  I had to relearn a lot.  After 3 years, I was back to my normal confident self.

As Winston Churchill said: "when you are going thru hell, keep going."  [/color][color=#333333]For you right now it’s one day at a time.  You are in survival mode.  Know that if you learn and listen this will all change as you change.  The human body is capable of a lot more than we realize.  If you change you will realize this.  But you have to change.

The more you stress and worry the worse you will make your condition.  Stress and anxiety are triggers for heart rhythm issues.  There's your first learning...

I have met children with severe heart rhythm issues.  There's a light in their eyes.  They are in tune with their heart and they have more heart than most people I know.  They are an inspiration to me.

Your anxiety exists because you are now aware of an organ in your body you were previously unaware of.  It scares you.  It scared me.

I now manage my problem well and live a happy full life.  You can get there too.

For now, I suggest you eat a banana every day.  And when you have a heart episode eat another one.  The potassium helps your bioelectrical system - which is responsible for your heart beat.

Also, when you have an episode, cough (I can make myself cough by using a cotton bud in my ear), it’s one of the best techniques to remedy the situation.  Also, splash cold water on your face. These are the best 2 techniques which work for me.

You will have a new normal in the future.  I am glad to have this heart problem.  It woke me up.  I now have a better life than before I head this issue.  I was stupid before.  I am wiser now.[/color][color=#333333]I wish you all the best.

Take care,

Chris

PS> read others stories through these forums... also search on my name to read other postings by me to read about other suggestions, e.g. quit caffeine (tea/coffee/chocolate), quit sugar, exercise.[/color] 

• Posted

Reposting to get rid of the strange tags that appeared:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you are going thru many of us have gone thru.

The initial shock and trauma once your condition is fully realized is overwhelming and you think that as bad as it is right now will never change.It will.  You will get thru this.

You will learn to manage this.  You will learn from people and yourself and then you will develop healthier lifestyle habits to offset your heart issues.  You can be normal again by overcompensating for your issue but doing tons of the good stuff.  It works.

I discovered mine the hard way.  After working 36 hours straight with no sleep I died.  I had to be shocked back alive.  That was 17 years ago.  Diagnosis: SVT.  I had an underlying genetic issue which I became the victim of because of my stupid lifestyle.  For the first 6 months after that I felt sorry for myself.  After that I picked myself up.  I put more effort into living.  I used my body more to make it more efficient, to compensate for my heart weakness.  I adopted healthier lifestyle choices.

It was not easy.  I had to relearn a lot.  After 3 years, I was back to my normal confident self.

As Winston Churchill said: "when you are going thru hell, keep going."  For you right now it’s one day at a time.  You are in survival mode.  Know that if you learn and listen this will all change as you change.  The human body is capable of a lot more than we realize.  If you change you will realize this.  But you have to change.

The more you stress and worry the worse you will make your condition.  Stress and anxiety are triggers for heart rhythm issues.  There's your first learning...

I have met children with severe heart rhythm issues.  There's a light in their eyes.  They are in tune with their heart and they have more heart than most people I know.  They are an inspiration to me.

Your anxiety exists because you are now aware of an organ in your body you were previously unaware of.  It scares you.  It scared me.

I now manage my problem well and live a happy full life.  You can get there too.

For now, I suggest you eat a banana every day.  And when you have a heart episode eat another one.  The potassium helps your bioelectrical system - which is responsible for your heart beat.

Also, when you have an episode, cough (I can make myself cough by using a cotton bud in my ear), it’s one of the best techniques to remedy the situation.  Also, splash cold water on your face. These are the best 2 techniques which work for me.

You will have a new normal in the future.  I am glad to have this heart problem.  It woke me up.  I now have a better life than before I head this issue.  I was stupid before.  I am wiser now.I wish you all the best.

Take care,Chris

PS> read others stories through these forums... also search on my name to read other postings by me to read about other suggestions, e.g. quit caffeine (tea/coffee/chocolate), quit sugar, exercise.

• Posted

Thanks Chris, lots of useful imformation there... Will Never touch caffiene again!!!

• Posted

Hi, I'm Ally. I'm 46 and I had my 1st attack at 20. I've had svt attacks through but lately it's been more frequent. I was starting to think the same as you. Almost obsessing over this. You know that this isn't the end of the road for you..... Has your Dr. Told you some of the home remedies you can try? If not, check out YouTube. Type in 'How to stop SVT'. The most important thing to remember...RELAX... DON'T STRESS. STRESS WILL BRING IT ON. I promise you, your not going to die. Not today, not tomorrow, not for a very long time. 😉 Also, ask for Ativan or Xanax. It helps tremendously.

• Posted

Thanks Allkins, I'm 50 next week! I think I had my 1st episode at 28... Absolutely sick of it ruining my and my famalies life... How do you cope - Do you get scared? I know I totally panic as soon as it comes on 

• Posted

I cope by trying to remain calm. I do r put myself in a stressful situation. If I have one, I now know about the techniques... Holding my mouth and nose and straining, dousing my head in an ice cold bowl of water, slow breathing....or er for adenosine. My local er is so no shalant about it because they know the drill. They joke with me and are firm and comforting with me.
  • Posted

I understand all of your thoughts, Gillian, since I have them and more. Have you read any/many of the "success" stories with ablation.  They greatly help me, and I think they could help you.  It would be much fun to read your successful report after your ablation.  I wish you the very best.  

• Posted

Hopefully I will get it soon... Although I am scared... This has really weakened me as a person! 
    • Posted

At times I think my SVT has weakened me, too, Gillian, but at other times I think that learning to better cope with it has strengthened me.  Regardless, the strong possibility of a cure for you has me very optimistic that your SVT will soon be cured.  What a fine experience that will be for you!
  • Posted

I know what your going through I have an episodes all day I had this problem 11 years ago never found the cause was put on beta blocker it worked until now it came and went at first now all day med just made my breathing worse I know there is anxiety there anyway had a cath study done I have svt mine is cause from left part of heart nor sparking right gave me medicine made me worse he couldn't do ablation that day in difficult place have to be put to sleep gonna take 4 to 6 hours he game me medicine until surgery nor going to take it trying to get the control back mws messed me up don't worry about the test its not that bad it's worth going through can't wait to have this done so I can be normal but I don't let it stop me matter how bad I feel I did at first but med was main problem keep your head up don't be afraid of it you will feel messed up sometimes because even though we are calm are body's still react hope you feel better

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I hope you get your surgery soon. I try and tell myself next time i'll be strong but everytime it happens i just panic!!! Take Care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.