SVT - Ablation?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, i would really appreciate some advice. im a 27 year old female. i remember having svt (junctional tachycardia) episodes as far back as around 14. i've always been active and love sports, seem to have more frequent episodes when im older. I was open to cardiology around 7 years ago, who put it down to innapropriate sinus tachycardia which never made sense to me. the episodes until recently always stopped on their own. however can last from a few seconds to around an hour. Last month i had an episode lasting 2 hours so went to a&e and bisoprolol did the trick (thankfully no adenosine needed). i am very sporty, have stopped sport, caffeine, alcohol etc. Episodes happen nesrly every time i exercise. i tried verapamil unsuccesfully, and not allowed beta blockers due to asthma. i've been offered an ablation but i am so scared. however i feel like i have no other option as it's starting to affect my quality of life and mental health. any advice is much appreciated x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

forgot to mention - SVT was finally proven in A&E last month

• Posted

hi, i had svt, vt episodes in the past. had an ablasion done and i can tell you it's nothing to fear. its sounds far worse than what it actually is. however dont know If it is 100% successful. feel like I may have to get it done again

• Posted

to give you an example. i was on the threatre bed at 1pm and I was in recovery for 2.30. it is uncomfortable when they bring you into arrhythmia and I needed drugs to put me more relaxed.

• Posted

I had SVT, sounding very similar to the history of yours. I had ablation when i was 22 (2009, im now 36) and it was the best decision ever! i got my life back and i would 100% have it done again if i needed to 😃 It was so quick, in and out within half a day and i cannot tell you how it changed my life and made me 'me' again. xx

• Posted

I would love to have an ablation (assuming it works!) – I am 78 and SVT episodes really knock my confidence as I always have to go to A&E for adenosine – twice this year. No one has ever mentioned ablation to me but I will ask about it at my next consultation – by phone – in four months' time. Feeling a bit abandoned at the moment because it's affecting my life profoundly but no one seems to take it seriously.

• Posted

Has no one told you that ablations are hardly ever 100% successful? How high does your heart rate go in your episodes? Mine once got stuck at 190.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.