SVT and Anaemia

Posted , 5 users are following.

2 months ago just getting my daughter out of her car seat my heart started pounding so fast about 150 160bpm I didn't time it! It lasted for 30 mins the paramedic said it was too fast for anxiety but the hospital said it was anxiety as all my results came back fine. I've been struggling to cope so my doctor booked me in for a 24hr holder monitor and gave me iron tablets as I was anaemic. The holster monitor results were fine with some ectopic beats which I notice all the time I think it could be from my anxiousness, doctors have told me that it could have been SVT but can't say because it wasn't recorded but not to worry as it isn't life threatening. However my brain thinks I am going to drop dead any moment and I darent do anything incase it happens again! It has happened before and since maybe for 5 seconds. Could this be because I was anaemic I have to say it happened the other day for 2 seconds but it's enough to scare me! I don't drink enough and I am under weight for my height! It's stopping me living my life someone please help! Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't know if the anemia could be the cause.  I often wonder why the doctor's prescribe a 24 or 48 hr monitor to catch these things.  Doesn't seem long enough.  I had a 30 day event monitor which caught multiple SVT's.  I know how scary they can be as some of mine cause me to feel very faint.  I was having a lot of them the whole month I wore the monitor.  I was very scared of them and practically stayed in bed the whole month afraid to do much of anything.  I was put on a low dose beta blocker and I can tell you it has given me my life back.  I rarely have them now at all.  If you want a definite diagnosis of SVT you could request a 30 day monitor.  My doctor told me that I won't die from them but believe me I know how scary they can be.  I called an ambulance twice because of them.  Wishing you the best.  Try not to be afraid, hard I know but it will only cause anxiety.
  • Posted

See I don't no if it was sinus tachycardia which can be caused by anaemia I'm so unsure someone said they had the same and as their anaemia cleared up so did the palitations, another said her heart was racing at 200bpm and they said it was anxiety and panic attacks! It's so confusing I'm going to see a counsellor tomorrow but I don't think it will work because I need a diagnosis even tho they have told me my heart is healthy! I've only had the one episode for a while but had small ones which they say could be ectopics from anxiety! It's awful wouldn't wish. This on my worst enemy xx
  • Posted

Hello XxaimxX

I am sorrry to hear you have svt which I suffered from for 5 years and my heart was healthy.  An ablation cured me last December.  However, my svt also occasionally started by making strange manoeuvres, and the time it lasted was similar to yours.  I finally was diagnosed with the condition by driving to the surgery whilst I was in svt and literally demanding an ecg.  After the staff got over their surprise at my request, it was recorded and I was also put on a low dose beta blocker which did help.  You shouldn't panic about it, but do all you can to get accurately diagnosed. 

• Posted

Thanks Geoff, I've not been diagnosed with anything apart from anaemia at the minute so it's hard to get on with it! I've been googling and anaemia can cause rapid heart rate and since I've been on iron tablets it has improved I seem to get it when I'm anxious for a couple of seconds! I've got some counselling tomorrow I'm hoping that will help, the doc tells me my heart is healthy and I don't need to panic when it happens but it's easier said than done sad I hope it doesn't happen again but don't no what I will do if it does! I had no other symptoms just rapid heart rate about 140bpm which could be sinus tachycardia from anaemia fingers crossed it was that and I'm alright cos I'm scared I'm going to die any time it's horrible! I'm on bisoprolol 1.25mg a day for palpitations they said they might increase it
  • Posted

Anxiety can make your heart race.  If it jumps up to a high rate like 200 bpm quickly it is probably SVT. I have learned how to break my SVT episodes.  Some people can, some can't. It took me a while to figure out how.  I lie down on my back.  Usually propped my head up a little so I'm not completely flat and have my knees bent, feet flat on bed or wherever I'm lying.  Then I take a deep breath and hold it and "bear down" like I'm trying to have a bm while continuing to hold my breath.  I hold it for about 8-10 seconds.  This will usually drop my heart rate.  Sometimes it works fast sometimes I have to do it several times.  I used to splash ice cold water in my face when I first started having them but that got old fast and the other method seems to work better for me.
    • Posted

I know and so can anaemia so I'm a bit confused I've been told not to panic if it happens again but I probably will! I didn't do anything to stop it last time it stopped when the paramedics come so could I have been making it worse by panicking and as soon as I knew they were here to help i calmed down? It usually just lasts a few seconds and subsides. I think it could be anaemia I suppose I'll know more if it does it again it's likely to be SVT because my iron levels have gone up a little now. And I drink more fluids now I've noticed the ectopics get better when I'm hydrated xx
  • Posted

Hi XxaimxX  I can totally understand how you are feeling at the minute.  16 months ago out of the blue my heart raced up to 250 beats a minute, this continued for about 2 hours!!  I thought my time was up! I had previously been told my ferritin levels were low and put on iron tablets. Adenosin slowed my heart back to normal in A & E.  I was diagnosed with SVT and given a 10 day holter which caught a few more.  I'm not on medication but have cut out alcohol and caffeine as these seem to trigger me. I drink loads of water now where as before I didn't.  When I feel a couple of races I cough or have a drink of water or try any of the doctors natural suggestions.  So far they seem to work.  It's difficult but please try not to let Svt spoil your life.  Good luck in the future.
    • Posted

Thanks Maria! I just want a diagnosis and the worst thing I am doing is googling I have been doing it all day and I keep finding horrible scenarios and think that's it I'm going to die! My boyfriend is getting annoyed as one min I see something that makes me think I'm fine then I'll see something horrible and that's it I'm down in the dumps! I know it's happened a few times and I'm still here so I should focus on that but I darent go out on my own or even do house work incase it triggers it! How did you cope for 2 hours I thought 30 mins was like a life time xx
    • Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with SVT and can't take the metoprolol because it makes my bp go too low and causes low HR. My story is very similar to yours with HR of 225. My doctor wants to refer me for an ablation now. Was wondering if you have had an ablation since you posted 6 years ago?

• Posted

I was afraid to go anywhere by myself for a few months too.  I have gotten better and I even exercise a lot now.  I'm not going to let SVT ruin my life.  I did have one driving one time but I just pulled over and did my "vagal manuever" and it did the trick.  Try not to worry, you may not even have SVT.  Even if you do it won't kill you.  I would stop googling.  I've done that before too but it will just make you more anxious.  Just try to relax and forget about it.
  • Posted

Stop googling!! I went through the same emotions as you and didn't want to go anywhere on my own.  Scenarios were always playing in my head. I remember googling the nearest hospitals on the way from Derbyshire to Kent one time!! I even worried if an ambulance could find me whilst stuck in a traffic jam! I am ok now driving on my own as long as it's not far.  I just get on with it now, friends know when I've had one as I always cough loudly and have a drink. it's a regular occurance but I'm still here to tell the tale.

Please try not to worry it may not even be SVT after all.x

• Posted

Hi Maria it's awful I tell myself I'm ok then not too long after I'm back on google making myself worry! I've now found things about ventricular tachycardia and told myself that's me and next time it happens I'm going to die so now I'm in a frenzy I can't sleep because I'm so scared I've had to take a diazapam! I think I need to talk to a doctor AGAIN because this isn't going to get any better how it is now! I'm from Derbyshire too! Xx
  • Posted

Ask your doctor if you can have a 30 day event monitor.  That's what I had.  You wear it for thirty days, only take it off to bathe.  When you feel your heart racing or doing anything unusual then you press a button on the monitor.  Then the doctor will be able to see exactly what's going on.  It might give you peace of mind to find out for sure.  If you heart starts to race the doctor will be able to tell if it is SVT or if it is just sinus tachycardia from anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.