svt and anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask a question!...

Reading through svt discussions I am seeing a lot of people suffer from anxiety...

I'm wondering if the anxiety is due to the svt or if they had suffered anxiety pre svt!?

And if they did do you think it was a midagnosed tachycardia,svt heart?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I have been suffering from anxiety for 18 months and been diagnosed with super ventricular tachycardia. I am still not sure if the SVT is causing the anxiety or the anxiety is causing the SVT. The doctors don't seem to be able to answer this question. 

• Posted

I do think svt is a diagnosis in itself, but the amount of people who also suffer from anxiety pre svt makes you wonder if the svt has been midiagnosed with anxiety!

Is your svt controlled with medication or do you suffer a lot with it?

• Posted

Hi Gillian. I am very confused about the whole thing. I had a couple of 'funny turns, and the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016. I had all he usual heart tests, echo, treadmill test and 24 holter monitor. The hospital said its anxiety at the time and then when they got he holter results they said I had one. Episode of SVT so hey prescribed beta blockers. I had started to have panic attacks every day by the middle of 2016 as I was so worried about it all. I had a 7 day monitor in October and am still waiting to see the cardiologist for the results. Hey have cancelled my appointment 3 times due to staff sickness. The have said me the holter results front page but as far as I can see there is not much going on so I am not sure if I really have SVT or not. My appointment with the cardiologist is not until June. I asked my GP before if SVT can cause anxiety or anxiety cause SVT and she said it's a bit of a 'chicken and egg' scienario!.

• Posted

This is the result they sent me last week.
    • Posted

That's awful having too wait so long for results from October... 

I suppose the good thing is if there was anything worrying on them i'm sure they would have made contact with you.

To be honest they have cancelled your appointment 3 time - I would be phoning up an asking to speak to your consultant at least for rea ssurance

This svt/anxiety is soo debilitating, it makes you feel very alone!!! 

• Posted

Hi. I have svt and the doctors say it's difficult to say if it's Svt causing anxiety or the other way around. Svt is caught when wearing a holter monitor or doing stress test. I've had all tests done and it's definetly svt. However I speak for myself but my anxiety attacks come after I've started an svt attack...it just continues to get worse because the svt is very truamatic. I've had a lot of physical and emotional stress in my life so maybe that's what caused the svt in the first place I don't know. I am dealing with the anxiety with cognitive behavioural therapy so when I have an svt attack I can stop it from going into anxiety. It's very difficult to get answers. Every one is different and a lot of dr.'s don't know a lot about Svt. I'm doing the trial and error method on my own and talking to others with the same problem.

• Posted

I'm quite similar to your situation...My svt has been caught on monitor, and like you I have suffered my share of stress.

I sometimes think many years of sress and anxiety has actually brought all this on...

When I have an svt episode I always have anxiety with it (my blood presuure goes up really high) - like you I find them very trumatic.

Do you find cbt helps and do you suffer from palpatations, skipped beats?

• Posted

Funny Shelley I've been saying the same it's hard to find the help my local doctors ask what medical conditions you have I say svt and get asked what it is I've learned more on this sight then anywhere so many of us with svt and anxiety I feel I had svt first with mild anxiety but with the lack of information over the years have caused major anxiety they say find your triggers I never new this till this sight so far overheating is a trigger for me good luck finding yours

• Posted

Gillian, from personal experiences and from keeping up with appropriate research, I think that SVT and anxiety/panic disorder are frequently parts of the same package. Some years back, mitral valve prolapse was often mentioned as also probably involved.  My impression is that people who experience  an SVT cure after ablation typically do much better with anxiety. I'm hoping you'll eventually experience something like that, too.  

• Posted

Thanks for that imformation.

I have had anxiety all my life, but your right if svt was to be removed from my life my anxiety woul be variable!

My cardiologist is considering an EP study but she says unless they can trigger an attack and find the exact spot to ablate then I wouldn't be able to have it done.

She also said there are risks involved in ablation, 

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I'm 100% sure my SVT started in the first place because of stress.  I had a very stressful year before my first attack and its not a coinidence. However I did not suffer with anxiety at this time. I think anxiety does not help the situation.  I suffered from anxiety when I moved back to a busy area after living somewhere quiet and non stressful and this caused my heart to jump around a lot outside of SVT attacks, now I have moved back to a non stressful environment and my heart has calmed down loads.  I think stress and anxiety play a  part and thus I changed my environment which has had a huge impact.

• Posted

I agree, stress and anxiety have been part of my life for Soo Long - I don't remember not suffering from it - even as a child.

I worry constantly,

Everytime my oldest dd is a bit late home from work "she has crashed her car"

When my son is a bit quiet, I imagine his gf has broken up with him.

And my youngest dd I just worry about all the time.

And if I call my mum (as I do about 4 times a day) and she doesn't answer I have to go running down to see she's not collapsed.

And So On.....

My Body Is Just So Over Sensitised!

And Now The Svt, Palpitations etc...

Mo wonder i've got heart stuff going on...   

• Posted

I can so relate. I have always been a worrier about everyone. Imagining the worst. I was mentioning cognitive therapy and it is very helpful with all that. It's called catastrophizing. Imagining the worst. A lot of things are possible but are they probable? You cant worry about what might happen. It's undue stress put on yourself. I have done that my whole life. And everything I imagined didn't happen. The last 2 years of my life have been very stressful as well....That's why I also believe the connection between stress and svt. my jobs were also very physical and i pushed to hard. I was a single mom for 12 years so that is anxiety that couldn't be helped . I believe my body decided that's enough..take care of yourself now. For me that's emotionally; physically and spiritually. It took years to get here and I need to give it time to back to me again. I am on a beta blocker right now but i still get svt attacks..( before beta blockers I couldn't even stand up without my heart shooting up) I was bedridden for 2 months basically. I have skipped beats and when I exercise my heart is normal but inside it feels like the brakes are on. I get breathless still and I'm deciding whether i want ablation. I'm trying all other possibilities first and then I will decide down the road.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.