SVT and exercise

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just stumbled across the site after living with SVT for the last 8 years and found it really comforting to know that others are 'coping' with it. I'd just like to share my experiences particularly relating to people who perhaps do quite a bit of sport.

I'm now 40 and having been an active runner, cyclist and triathlete for years and years, I still compete at a pretty high level and push my body pretty hard.

I had my first attack whilst out on a 10 mile run, a run I did after having a cold ( man-flu I suspect). Each other incident over the past 8 years seem to coincide with my either being run-down or actually having a cold. Now, if I stopped doing exercise everytime I got a cold then I would do nothing, but I do tend to take alot more notice now when I am run down.

I've tried Solotolol - although this bring my heart-rate down, it also totally drains me of any energy - so I don't bother with it any more.

Sometimes I can prevent an attack by coughing or holding my breath, but I was interested to read about the blowing into a syringe - I will try this the next time, although if I turn up to a running race holding a syringe i suspect there may be a few eye-brows raised.

good look in the future folks - stay healthy and don't let it get you down!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Curious to see how you are dealing with the SVT's. I was recently diagnosed with it and I am also a triathlete. Went through a bunch of tests, Echo, stress echo, Reg. stress test... all came back good and condition is considered benign. Doctor thought I would benefit from an ablation, but I'm worried about the risks.... Just curious to know if your training has suffered.

I'm currently on diltiazem because the beta-blockers sucked!

• Posted

Hi guys.

I am a 38 yr old male, 16 marathons, PR of 3.02, 4 Ironman finishes, PR of 10h36.

I also have had experiences with SVT, or Atrial Fibrillation. I have not really confirmed which it is, but the episodes come up always when exercising... Its funny but one can almost see it coming, when suddenly HR shoots up to 230s, and I have to stop (99% of the time), take some calming breaths, and in matter of say 30 seconds, the HR comes down to 120s, when I can resume running.

Usually, one episode per run...

Some 6 years ago, when it all began, I would continue running not wanting my friends to know about it, and have sometimes ran up to 40 minutes with HR skyrocketed, and after that I would spend the day miserably tired... I know, this was mega-stupid.

Now, I have learned to cope with it and know that if I STOP, then HR comes down, and about 95% of the sessions, episodes appear only once.

I dont want it to make it a MEDICAL deal, because I fear any doctor (usually fat, sedentary old guys), will prohibit me from running marathons or competing in Ironmans. Something I am not willing to give up.

Any insights??

Thanks

• Posted

Blimey - I can't keep up with you guys but I do enjoy indoor rowing.

I have had one episode (don't like the word 'attack') just as I finished a strenuous row - I always wear my HR monitor - HR went up to 160 (which is high end for exercise for me) then zoomed up to 230 or so - then spent the next few hours going down to about 130 - 140 and back up 200+

I have also had episodes start when standing up from bending over, after rushing up steep steps and doing gentle exercise - as well as sitting doing nothing at all.

• Posted

I have been suffering from SVT'S for around 15yrs. I have been on Sotalol for most of them but have recently been changed to Metoprolol. I normally find that my episodes are brought on by stress. I have had all the tests done and the doctors think that I have an extra electical bundle in my heart,(which is seemingly common in people with this condition). I too have been asked to consider ablations but am unsure as to whether I want to go through with it or not. I do not have an episode all that often can go for a year to 18mths between them (so I tend to err more down the medication route), or in the last 6mths I have had 2 within the space of 7wks. I keep an eye on my blood pressure as the beta blockers tend to keep it on the low side. I to like flamenco45 have had episodes when I have been doing nothing I also tend to get more in the evening or first thing in the morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.