Svt and exercise - is it safe?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I've had a few attacks of svt that have sent me to hospital over the last few years..I think I've probably had a few shorter episdoes that I've naturally jumped out of it.

Anyway - I was wondering if exercise is an issue with svt - I don't mean during an attack of it (I can hardly walk when I have mine!) I mean in-between bouts - is there any guidance of it being a trigger or being bad for the heart? I gym 2 - 3 times a week and also cycle 60- 90 miles a week (not heart blasting cycling just gentle commuting) but I'm.worried I'm putting my heart under even more stress. Are there any studies on svt and exercise I could look at?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I believe I started having SVT 5 years ago. At the time I was taking a medication to lose weight and they thought it was that but now I don't. I had an episode while shopping and just started suddenly and took 30 minutes to go away. Then didn't have any other issues for 3 years and then had one right after another. My cardiologist said he had a patient that had not had any SVT for 15 years and it started back. Everyone is different. I just don't think any medicine would cause SVT. I firmly believe it is just having a whacky electrical system in the heart. Do you drink a lot of caffeine? Caffeine makes my heart flutter, so I had to stop .

• Posted

Hi again!

I do have caffeine (two cups of coffee a day and two cups of tea) I've cut down on the tea but don't feel like caffeine is the cause .

Mild panic alert - I just had the call that I am having my abilation - Thursday 24th I'm now freaking out!

• Posted

Eddie, your freak-out is normal.  I've experinced it myself.  I'm glad you don't have a longer wait.  I'll bet, odds-on, you'll do OK.  Recent published research is suggesting caffeine isn't much of a contributor to SVT.  Good news for me since strong coffee and hot and iced tea (all unsweetened, making me quite an anomaly for the southeastern U.S.) otherwise greatly enhance my quality of life.  I'm predicting that your ablation will terrifically enhance the quality of your life.  Be patient, though.  Most reliable sources tell us that our hearts are unusually irritable for 3-6 months post ablation.  Looking forward to hearing your reports.

• Posted

Eddie,

I do understand your apprehensiveness, believe me. I felt the same way when I had my ablation. It will be good that you can get it done and won't have SVT anymore!

Just get the doctor to explain to you what all they are going to do, from prepping you to afterwards. 

I went back to see the doctor a month after my ablation just to see how I was doing?

Cardiologists have told me that caffeine can bring on SVT, especially if you drink a lot of it. I quit caffeine, as I was not going to take a chance of bringing on SVT. Besides caffeine stimulates the heart and before I even had SVT, if I drank a lot of it, it made my heart have palpatations for days. You should stay cut back on caffeine even after you have your ablation. Just do it gradually. That is what I did. 

There is very little  risk to the abation. Any time I have a procedure, I am anxious, that is just human nature. You will do fine, I'm sure! 

• Posted

I haven't read anything about SVT starting from exercise. I just had the ablation done and I feel so much better. Go see an electrophysiologist and see what your options. If your attacks are happening a lot, maybe you should look into the ablation as well. Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.