SVT and flying

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with SVT 8 months ago after a visit to A & E with 250 bpm which had continued for 2 hours.  After the dreaded Adenosine, it went back to normal.  I usually have a rate of 60 - 70 bpm. I have a holiday booked with a 5 hour flight in 5 weeks and I am petrified of having an attack in the air! I'm a nervous flyer anyway! Daily, I have short bursts of SVT which so far have stopped on their own. I have also been diagnosed with costochondritis as I have chest pain. Have any of you been in tha same situation? I am on the verge of cancelling the holiday but feel that I'm letting all the family down. Thanks 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria

I totally know how you feel. After 10 years of feeling the same I've had the ablation and 4 months later no SVT.

What did it for me was what you describe, coming back on a ferry from France worried it would start.

I was prescribed Flecanade as a "pill in your pocket" to take if it starts. It acts in 30 minutes and normally sorts it out. Have a chat with your doctor.

My doctor said to me that when SVT starts to alter the way you live, because of making compromises, it's time to get it sorted. Beta blockers can help but at 42 I didn't want to be on them for the rest of my life so the op was best. It's a personal choice but I know exactly how you feel and I haven't looked back.

See your doc, get some rescue meds and enjoy your holiday!

All the best

Chris

• Posted

Hello Maria,

My partner is 24 and suffers from SVT. Whenever we fly he takes an aspirin two hours before, and paracetamol and ibuprofen an hour before just in case. His chest feels strange during take off and landing, but once we are up in the air he starts to settle. He normally distracts himself with a film or music. He finds that the longer the flight the better as it gives him time to settle himself and relax - when we went to Dublin the fact that we practically went straight up and down made him feel ill for a few hours. Though he will be tired the next day and will have to take it easy he doesn't find flying a problem. If he does start stressing a little I try to distract him, so just keep your family in the know if you are starting to worry - they are here to help you.

• Posted

Welcome to our world ,I was carried off the tarmack in London , I was taken to a hospital in Salt Lake City  I was drugged so heavy that it took me 2weeks to recover coming back from Rome  dont let SVT stop or scare you from living live to best of my knowledge no one has a clue, the best way that I've herd to stop an attack that someone gave me the advice on this site ,is to lay in a fetal position on your right side and bear down like you pushing to go to pass gas or as your going to the bath room I've had. SVT for over 50 years ask your doctor if what I'm suggesting with the costochondritis is ok the best thing to do is to get back into regular rythem Good Traveling 
  • Posted

Hi Marie, stop worrying and DO NOT cancel your holiday, I have a fear of flying which is very bad I get upset, sweat and shake but I still do it at least twice a year because I love my holidays but I have never had an SVT episode whilst on the plane, so u need to try and stop worrying and I'm sure you will be fine,

Sam

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies it's helpful to listen to other peoples experiences. I'm going to have a word with my doctor and take it from there! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.