SVT and major dizziness

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I am currently under investigation for PSVT after three times of having severe dizziness. The first time lasted about three months, having about 4 episodes a day, lasting an hour. However, I did not notice that the problem was my heart as I was focussing more on the severe light headedness, so nothing was really investigated.

This was until a few months ago when it came back. The episodes always last about an hour and it's like a kick in the face with dizziness to begin with as I have no pre-warning. My heart will then shoot up to about 160-180bpm. This has given me huge amounts of anxiety and it is so debilitating that I can't work, drive or even walk. My question to this community is how long did it take for you to catch it on an ECG?

The most annoying part is that because I am not on private healthcare, it took about 6 weeks to get my first cardiology appointment (even on urgent) so by the time I had a 24hr ECG, the episodes had gone.

My SVT is quite irregular timing, but when it does occur, it ruins my whole life for at least 2 months and I can't do it anymore. Does anyone have any advice as to how to catch it? and does anyone else have these symptoms?

Thank you,

Rhian

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi!

My episodes were caught on ECG when I had to go to ER because of it. It was immediately diagnosed as SVT. I had to wear a holter monitor for 24h but I didn't had an episode then. My symptoms before it starts is a pressure under my heart then it starts to race, and after an episode I'm tired, sometimes I feel dizzy, too.

I'm anxious about it aswell, so I know that feeling. It's really frightening. Did you considered ablation?

• Posted

Hi,

My cardiologist does happen to think its SVT, however he said that nothing can be done until it is caught and diagnosed. Although, If an ablation was offered, I would have it, because i feel like I have nothing to lose at this point haha.

Thank you,

Rhian

• Posted

When I had my first SVT attack, I was shopping and all of a sudden, my heart was beating very fast and strong with no warning. I was able to drive to my doctor's office to do an ekg, and she determined that I had some type of tachycardia. I didn't have another major episode until 7 years later! Again, without warning, my heart started beating rapidly and very strong. it went up to 210 beats per minute. I tried using the valsa maneuver and splashing ice water on my face to slow down my heart, but nothing worked. I had to call the paramedics to bring me to the emergency room because I had shortness of breath. Currently, I'm taking meds to control my SVT, and still considering ablation. I also do suffer from dizziness once in a while, but it could be do to anxiety from worrying about having another SVT attack!

• Posted

When I had my first SVT attack, I was shopping and all of a sudden, my heart was beating very fast and strong with no warning. I was able to drive to my doctor's office to do an ekg, and she determined that I had some type of tachycardia. I didn't have another major episode until 7 years later! Again, without warning, my heart started beating rapidly and very strong. it went up to 210 beats per minute. I tried using the valsa maneuver and splashing ice water on my face to slow down my heart, but nothing worked. I had to call the paramedics to bring me to the emergency room because I had shortness of breath. Currently, I'm taking meds to control my SVT, and still considering ablation. I also do suffer from dizziness once in a while, but it could be do to anxiety from worrying about having another SVT attack!

• Posted

I am using both lopressor and zoloft together. I found my SVT episodes lessened when my anxiety went away. SVT is so scary, maybe taking a low dose of anxiety med as well will help. I only take 50 mg of Zoloft and 25 of Lopressor. Thought I needed ablation surgery too but these two drugs together have me feeling almost normal again! BEST LUCK FOR YOUR GOOD CALM HEALTH. - x kat

• Posted

Mine wasnt diagnosed until i had an implanted heart moniter in my chest. I feel very faint with svt attacks although i do not actually faint maybe your dizziness is same??

I first stared with short attacks every few weeks 10 yrs ago but only diagnosed 3 yrs ago after having the implant. The attacks got progressively worse and past year have had 3 trips to hospital with attacks lasting 5/7hrs which even adenosine could not stop. Having ablation in less than a week. Eeeek

• Posted

Hi,

I feel like at this rate, I'm going to need an implanted heart monitor to catch it. Did you request to have this done or did the doctor recommend it?

It does sound the same, because the light headedness is my main symptom that scares me to death because it is so unexpected.

Good Luck with your ablation!

• Posted

Hi Rhian!

Sadly, it took 4 years to detect my tachycardia episodes on an ECG, having several 24 hour ECG's also proved ineffective as like yourself, it wasn't daily. Finally it was caught on a 7 day ECG.

I would recommend asking your doctor for a 7 day ECG monitor when you are going through a frequent patch of episodes. Everyone is different, however you can drastically reduce the risk of an episode by cutting out caffeine (especially no coffee!!) and alcohol. There's no real way to detect when they may come, however increases in stress, caffeine, body exhaustion or intense exercise often is linked to stimulate tachycardia, especially when combined.

Hope you find an answer soon,

Kay x

• Posted

It took 10 years for my SVT to be recorded and diagnosed on an ECG.

I also have bouts of severe dizziness. I try to stay hydrated and get enough salt throughout the day in small doses. If I eat too much salt at once, I get palpitations. However, if I don't eat enough salt, I get incredibly dizzy. It's a fine balance. Carbs have a similar effect, they cause me to feel dizzy, with palpitations. I stopped eating most carbs because of this.

Wishing you the best!

• Posted

I have had a similar problem of catching possible SVT on an ECG, as it occurs unexpectedly 5 or 6 times a year. Doc offered an implanted monitor. Instead I ordered my own ECG from EMAY. It was $79 and it is pocket size. Last night was my first chance to record an episode of tachycardia. I went to where it was and recorded the episode within a couple of minutes, loaded the info in to my laptop and printed an ECG report. Weeks earlier I had done the same thing with my normal heart rate and shown it to the cardiologist as a sample. He was impressed.

• Posted

Hi

I also had sporadic episodes. After many attempts to catch it, my EP doctor suggested implanting a loop recorder. The recorder is the size of a thumb drive and they implant it just under your skin on your chest. It continually records your heart and if you have an episode, they give you an activator to save your recording. A tech will later download the data from the recorder. I've had mine in for over a year and was able to record numerous episodes. Talk to your doctor about it. I think its the best way to capture sporadic episodes and may save you several trips to the hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.