Svt and sport

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my son has SVT he's had it since he was 10 days old he is now 11 years old and has an interest in rugby is it safe to play with his condition. I was hoping to get some advice from someone who has svt. I worry if I let him play he would have an attack. He hasn't had one in a while now as we control it with a few minutes of exercise a day and a lot of resting inbetween. A little advice will be fab thankyou x I have asked doctors for advice but got nowhere as they say he knows how far his body can pushed also my son suffers with autism so he really doesn't understand what he has all he knows is he can't do much sports and running and sometimes has to go to hospital for ecgs. Thankyou x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

is it your gp what keeps tell you this if i was you insist that you are referred to hospital to see heart consultant my gp keep telling me mine was panic attacks till i saw consultant at barnsley hospital did tests and told me i had svt in june this year had abalation and been great ever since had it 5 years had enough of heart racing over 250 to 300 beats per minute i now how you feel they don't listen to you half the time but believe me insist about hospital when i got an attack i could move never mind do exercise  they can put a monitor on him for 24 48 or even 7 days to monitor whats going on they did that for me  hope this helps good luck
  • Posted

Exercise is the way I keep my SVT under control.  I have more episodes without exercise.  The key to this illness is fitness. 

If he builds up his fitness then he can play rugby.  But he shouldn't jump into a full rugby game without the fitness.  Do some running, building up to a few miles, or something similar which he'll actually do (biking or some other cardio).  Maybe do a lot of rugby training before a full game.

But the worst thing you can do is not do exercise.  If he wants to play rugby and then enjoys it will only be good for him in the long run.

I've always had SVT.  I now exercise 5 days per week and that helps me keep it under control.  I played football and rugby as a kid.  It was when I lost my fitness and had stress in my life that my attacks were the worst.

• Posted

Thankyou chrisfox I'll be taking your advice thankyou x
  • Posted

Hi Kate; I agree with Chris. If your son works up to it and builds his endurance gradually, it will only benefit his heart. I'm a 56 year old marathon and ultramarathon runner from Canada who has been running over 30 years and  was diagnosed with SVT in February. I had my first episode of tachycardia during a long run back in November. I had about ten more episodes and finally went to my GP who referred me to a cardiologist. I would only get an episode during a run and I never knew when it would hit. Sometimes a mile into  run. Sometimes 20 miles in. Sometimes, not at all. My cardiologist put me on a beta blocker to slow my heart rate. He recommended cardiac ablation which I will be having done in hospital very soon. As long as I take the beta blocker as prescribed, I can run fine. I've worn Holter loop monitors during my runs to record any tachycardia and when it happens my HR goes to 250 BPM and I'm forced to walk. But I have no problem with running and log 120-140 km per week with a weekly long run of 35 to 55km. I specifically asked my cardiologist if I am doing myself harm by running such long distances and he said no. Running has made my heart very strong, it's just the electrical system that's a little out of whack and the ablation should correct that. So I hope your son enjoys his rugby!
    • Posted

Thankyou this makes me feel much better don't know many people that has this condition so it's really nice to have advice from people who have it. Just to say he is joining the team today they are going to take it easy on him to begin with then work him up I'm so grateful for the comments it's taken a load off my mind thankyou xx
    • Posted

Glad to hear the coaches will do that.  Must be good people.  Some get too scared to coach someone with a heart issue.  But if they take the time to understand it and agree to manage it then they can only help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.