SVT and Travel.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all.

My little girl was just diagnosed with AVNRT SVT and we were looking for positive stories about travel. I would love to hear from people who have been on planes or maybe even had an episode while on a plane/train or car. What did you do etc? We are a little nervous to travel, but it's something we really enjoy. Thanks so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Glamrada.

Deborah here, 25 years old.

I have AVNRT SVT and currently live in Singapore having moved here last year. I fly regularly but have never had an episode while onboard a plane (touch wood). Is your Daughter currently on any medication? There are short acting tablets available that can stop an attack in under 20 minutes but the dosage would depend on your Daughters age. It would give you peace of mind to have something in your handbag just in case. This is what I do at the moment but hope to have RFA done in the next month or so to ease the stress of worrying about it.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hello Deborah.

Thanks for your reassuring answer. We have only seen the pediatric cardiologist once so far. She's only had about three episodes ( that we know of in 8 years). All within the last year. Two stopped on their own, but the last one they stopped with adenosine at the ER. We mainly were there to try and catch the episode on ECG more than anything, but they were panicked and gave it to her ( heart rate was 230). I feel like we can try to stop it ourselves again when at home. Anyway, We did an echo (normal) and Holter for 24 hrs ( will find out results at next meeting) and we have a stress test still left and  another appointment in June to go over a game plan. Till then they wanted us not to travel, but have mentioned we can keep our summer travel plans after seeing them. I imagine we are going to talk about medications and ablation ( they did mention wanting to see if she grows out of it by age 10 or so). We gave up chocolate ( two episodes were after chocolate desserts). She is in an anxious phase already as her best friend has cancer - what a time! Anyway, thank you for your very positive post about travel. That helps us feel better and keep doing the things that we love doing. The more we do that, the less upset everyone feels in our family. Thanks again smile

• Posted

Hello Glamranda.

I'm sure this is a very anxious time for you and your Daughter but i'm sure she'll be just fine. I'm sure you've done your research but AVNRT SVT is the most common SVT and is most common in girls (lucky us). There is every chance your Daughter will grow out of it as her heart grows and develops over the years to come.

I went two years without any major episodes but had three last week which ended up in two trips to A&E for an Adenosine injection and the third was stopped by my calcium channel blocker tablet which they gave me a prescription for after the second visit. I had never managed to catch my palpitations on ECG until then, leaving me wondering what SVT i actually had. I've cut out all alcohol and caffeine until I get to the bottom of the cause. It's the waiting and anxiety that's the worst part.

Let me know how the results go!

• Posted

Yes, it's been a bit of an anxious time for sure!

As unsettling as being at the ER is ( we are in Canada - call it ER). It's so good to catch the episode for diagnosis. That part we are thankful for. I just hope to stop them at home from now on.  Our daughter was so brave and amazing at the ER. She didn't cry or freak out. Just a weird reaction when the adenosine went in ( a loud groanning like in pain). However, she is having anxiety about doing it again - don't blame her!

Keep me posted too. I hope the RFA works for you and things just get easier from here on in!

Thanks again for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.