SVT and Travelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all, 

I've had diagnosed SVT since I was 15, so about 14 years now. I'm travelling in December for my wedding, and we'll be spending two weeks in the Dominican Republic. For years my biggest fear has been having an episode of SVT while travelling as my episodes usually require a 911 call and adenosine to convert. I am in the process of scheduling a catheter ablation, but we're currently unsure if I'll be able to have it done before the trip. I am very, very nervous about being in a spanish-speaking country and having a medical emergency (I don't speak any Spanish and certainly don't know medical terminology in Spanish!). 

I was wondering if anyone had any experience having an episode in a country where you don't speak the language and could possibly reassure me or even just share their story. This is keeping me up at night. 

Thanks! 

Amanda

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda,  why not ask your doctor to prescribe some beta blockers for you to take on holiday. Before my ablation I had 80 mg Propanalol to take if I had an attack. It works within about 20 minutes usually.  It would put your mind at rest. 
    • Posted

This is an excellent idea and one I had not even considered. I will for sure ask about them in case I can't get in on time. I would love to have something concrete I can do in the event of an attack, even back home. 

• Posted

Amanda,  A few years ago I was in Cobo and had an svt attack.  I was with a large group of people at the pool and I was drinking to much alcohol.  I had my medication with me (pill in the pocket) and thankfully it worked and the episode stopped after about 45 minutes.. Don't know what I would have done if it hadn't worked. My advise would be to take medication with you in case you do have an attack and if alcohol is a trigger for you, don't drink. 

• Posted

Thankfully alcohol isn't a trigger for me, and if I've had a drink or two I'm usually a lot more calm about the SVT, which helps - but is a slippery slope for sure!! So glad the medication worked for you.

• Posted

What I usually do if I go to another country and don't speak the language, I make like a small card with all my conditions, I translate everything beforehand and put it in my wallet.

Example in your case

Name: Amanda

Conditions: SVT adenosine sensitive

To

Nombre: Amanda

Condiciones/Patología: Taquicardia Supraventricular sensitiva a la adenosina.

And if you have to call the ambulance you can show the card.

Also include any medications you take!

• Posted

This is so incredibly helpful!! I think I will do this and have my future husband memorize it as well as he'll be the one talking to people. Thank you so much!!!

• Posted

Do you know about vagal manoeuvres, Amanda? Message me if you need some basic advice and look on here for what works best for people. There have been some very successful experiences posted on her about-face in cold water, laying on side and adopting fetal position while bearing down (just like you having a poo) You know what I mean right?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.